Chapter 6: Domlora

It has already been a week or so since he left the capital. Rendell traveled for the past few days past different towns to reach the Brethan Kingdom.

       In its complete downfall seventeen years ago, most regions and lands of the Brethan Kingdom were seized by the Tearans and ruled over them.

       The town in which he is currently staying was formerly owned by the Brethan Kingdom but now is under the governance of the Tearan Kingdom. The people who lives there are now Tearans while the original inhabitants were dragged out of their lands and were sent to Abracar. Rendell learned before that the remaining survivors fled to the north but the king’s forces weren’t able to find them until now. He also heard various rumors that the Brethanians are gathering strength and preparing for revenge against their kingdom.

       Rendell didn’t pay any attention to those kinds of rumors before but now that he is a half-knight, he should be. He now decided to learn more about the feud between the two kingdoms to better understand things and other matters that are connected to it.

       He didn’t linger anymore in the town he is staying in. he continued again on the road he is taking. He is already on the outskirts of town when he saw two children running around not far from the path.

       “Hey!” he called out to them and they stopped and looked at him.

       “What is it, mister?”

       “What are you two doing here? Where are your parents?”

       “Oh, our father has business in town and he told us to just stay here and wait for him.” The taller boy said.

       “He just left you here?” Rendell said. “Isn’t that dangerous? Something might happen to you two here.”

       The younger boy chuckled. “There’s nothing to worry about, mister. We are already used to this and as long as we follow what our father instructed we won’t be in danger.”

       “We always do what he says.” The other said.

       Rendell was surprised with what they said. He remembered that when he was little, it was hard to escape his mother’s supervision and she always brought him around wherever she goes. The children seemed they are going to be fine, he thought.

       He sighed. “Alright, I’ll be going now. Stay where you are, okay?”

       They nodded at him. “Thank you for your concern, mister.”

       “Our father will return a little later.”

       Rendell just nodded and started again on the road.

       “But, mister, where are you going?” the boy asked. “There are no more towns ahead. This is the last one.”

       “So there are no more towns going there…” Rendell said.

       The boys nodded. “Our father always tells us stories about that place. That is where the scary Black War happened. Mister, you should turn back now or you will be cursed by that place!”

       “A curse? I never heard of that story.” Rendell said.

       “You must believe us, sir. Do not go there. You shall never return again if you do. It is said that the souls of the dead Brethanians still linger there and any Tearan who comes will suffere their curse—their vengeance…”

       “…I really haven’t heard of that. Is that really true or just a made-up story?”

       “This story is true, mister. If you don’t believe us you can ask the townspeople about it and they will tell you the same thing and warn you not to go there.”