I Should've Kissed You

The Thursday before the Ocean City field trip, was an incredibly sunny day. Sarah decided it being her last last day at New Story Middle School, she goes to the quad last period (that period being Social Studies but, Mr. Bucks let them do whatever since it was their last day...) to write in the sunshine. When she got to the quad, there were two girls looking in a couple of books, a couple of guys wrestling on the grass, and a guy with a football sitting far away from the other people in the quad. She went under her favorite tree and took out her journal from her book bag. 

When you looked at me what did you see? A person or a toy you'd mess with and when you were done you'd chuck off? Did you see the creative flower I am or  the not many emotions revealing girl I try to be... You saw no one because all you didn't see was me. What was it for then? The laugh in the end when you said everything? Of the chase of a girl we both knew you'd never have, because....

She heard a couple of guys make a commotion. 

"Mark!" they seemed to say. 

OH MY GOSH! No! she thought. It's the last day of school one day without him is all I need! As long as he doesn't come over here... She begin to work again. 

You were with her and I couldn't have a boy friend. I'd always think that maybe one day when I was older and we weren't so young maybe but no. That seems to only be something in my head because, you've chosen her. 

That's when she heard it, more specific him. He chuckled as he sat down in front of her and in a criss cross apple sauce position. He had on a black shirt, blue jeans, and tennis, to be more specific the Brand being Nike's. He looks quite handsome today, she thought as she looked at him,  what am I thinking? It's for her, not you Sarah. Snap out of it!

She looks back at her journal and silently says, "Your not suppose to be talking to me, you know  that right?"

"Who says?" he says. 

"You, two months ago..." she says matter of fact. 

He looks at the ground and sighs, "Yeah about that, I..."

"Remember when I said "it was okay", after it happened and you tried to talk  to me in Music that day?" she asked silently. 

"Yeah, I remember. Why?" 

She sighs and looks at him in the eyes, "Yeah, it really wasn't.okay I mean and today, being Thursday, a little bit ] before eighth grade graduation, I thought that" she sighs and begin to write again, "I don't know what I thought or what to think at this point".

"Sarah, I know your confused and hurt right now but, it wasn't me. I mean I have said that before. Then, I turned around and did it again which again wasn't right but, I, I.."

Sarah chuckled, "No, Mark, like I said it's cool. I mean that was two months ago right?"

There was a silence between the two. Sarah begin to write for a little while when Mark cleared his throat which, made her look at him expectantly

"So Sarah, what are you doing this summer?" he asked trying hard to start a conversation. 

"My dad has his wedding in July and I'm going on vacation with my cousins" Sarah smiled, "So, how about you, plans?"

"Nothing much" he said.

Mark got up and sat down next to Sarah. 

"Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?" Mark asked, 

"No, but that's because I'm not" Sarah said and looked upwards at the clear blue sky.

"You are very beautiful and, I hope you remember that" he said.

"Your weird, you know that? Just randomly gonna say that"

"I've been told time from time".

They laughed.

"Mark, I have to go to my locker but, I hope you have a great life and a great summer. I expect to hear great things about you" Sarah said getting up. 

Mark quickly got up too and said, "Sarah?"

"Huh?"

Mark walked to her and put her cheek in his hand, "Sarah, I..." he said and then, leaned in to kiss her very slowly but, when he was so close yet so far,  his phone went off. 

Jasmine was calling him , Jasmine really? ugh! he thought. 

"Have a great life Sarah!" he said softly, his lips being so close to hers that if any of them was pushed a inch than they would be having a greatest accidental kiss EVER! 

They both pulled away at the same time and Mark was the first to  walk in the opposite direction to his locker.  He took out his phone and called Jasmine back on the way to his locker. She had wanted him to meet her at the entrance of the school, after he got his stuff from his locker. When he got to his locker on the other side of school he put his head against his locker. Last day of school and I didn't do it, he thought, I can't believe I'm in love with her like this it kills me, not being with her but, I've chosen Jasmine. All my friend say I'm suppose to be with her because she's like me mostly but is she the right choice? I don't know but I can't do anything about it.  He grunted silently to himself,  she's really something special and she doesn't even know it! ....  He got his book bag which was now heavier than a big sack of potatoes because it has everything from his locker in it and begin to walk to the entrance of the school, while saying goodbye to his best friends and teachers. I'm really miss her this summer but, I at least get to see her tomorrow! I'm so excited.... 

Inspired by "Should've kissed you" By: Chris Brown...