A Conversation

"So, what do you wanna be when you grow up?" I ask.

"Well, football player or, if that doesn't work out an engineer" he tells me.

"Football, will work. Trust me but, when you to be all nice with the fancy cars, clothes and girls don't forget us little people. OK?" I smile.

He chuckles, "Okay but, Sarah would I really forget you?"

"Yes!" I say and then laughed, "You've done it before but, anyway next topic you start".

"Ummm" he props himself on one elbow, "What does the high school that you go to have to have?"

"Well, it has to have a drama department, track and field, or cheerleading and great academics!" I say excitedly, "And you?"

"I don't really know. I never thought of it before. Guess I'll find out huh?" he says causally.

I sigh lowly but apparently loud enough for him to hear.

"What's wrong?" he asks with concern edged in his voice.

"It's almost over" I say, "What if....What if I never see you again?"

"You will, we have School For Real Athletic and Smart Kids and if, you go to one of those private schools we have cellular phones. We'll talk every night" he says sounding reassuring to me.

"Sometimes you don't answer your phone, and you're gonna be super busy you won't have time to talk to me Mr. Man!" I say jokingly while poking his chest.

He smiles weakly at me, turns away for what seems like forever, and when he does turn back he looks as if he's about to cry, "Do I really do that? Really, Sarah I don't mean too. I wouldn't do that to you in high school! So that you know, let's pinkie promise" he said holding out his pinkie.

I connect my pinkie with his and smile, "Pinkie promise. So, favorite food place?"

"McDonald's and you?"

I high fived him right then and there like the idiot I was!

"Me too!"

(And the conversation goes on and on).....

-Inspired by me thinking of my crush just one night and the almost V day!!!