Walk In The Park

I was playing tag with my best friend's little sister, when I noticed a person in a purple jacket watching me from the gate, and then as soon as the person arrived the person left. I continued to play until my best friend's little sister's father said it was getting dark and they had to head home.

I say, "I gotta go, you know finish walking".

So, I waved as I was walking out the gate to the big playground. I let my eyes wonder to the pond, the ducks, and I see the purple jacket person again sitting on the side of the pond, texting. He glances up as if he knew I was walking by. I wave, so I know it's him. He does the "Sup", thing he does in the hallway at school.

I walk over to him and say, "So, do you always gotta look so mysterious?"  I sat beside him and laughed.

"I don't know. I didn't think I'd look mysterious just me". I smile and stand up.

"You wanna walk around the pond with me?" and then I think, 'I highly doubt he'll say-'.

"Sure", he says as he takes off his hood to reveal his face, the one face that I dream about constantly. I start walking, with my hands in my jean pockets, and he does the same.

"So, congrads on the big win earlier" I say sincerely.

"Yeah" he says, "Well it was a team effort but, I was really happy about it".

I smile at the thought of him being extremely happy. It makes me happy to think of him happy.

"The sky's really pretty" he says suddenly and unexpectedly.

I turn to him, smile and then look at where I'm going.

"Yeah, it really is".

"Was that Tia's sister I saw you playing with?"

I blushed, "Well, yeah. I doubted that you were gonna show so, I was having fun playing tag, its fun".

He chuckles lightly, "I remember playing that in the third and second grade".

We were walking by the bench on the walkway of the pond. My place.

"Yeah, I remember doing that, too" I look over to the place we were at and sighed.

"What's wrong? He asked.

I walked over to my place, and sat down criss cross applesauce. He quickly came and sat beside me.

"Oh nothing" I say nonchalantly.

He nudges my shoulder slightly playful, "Oh come on, you don't just sigh, walk over the way you did and not tell me why?"

"I don't know, I can't tell you what. Well, I can but I'm kind of scared too" I say looking at the pond solemnly. He sighs, "I hate when we do that".

"Do what?" I asked confused.

"You want someone to tell you something but, when they want you to tell them something you, don't".

"It's hard. It's hard because you don't know what the person will say, or if the person will hate you for telling them a really big thing, or laugh".

"Well, you know I'm always here".

I look at him, smile and then playfully shove his shoulder, "Hey! That's my line!"

We laugh a little.

"So, you're really not gonna tell me?" he says looking at the pond.

"I don't normally tell people this but, you're my friend. I love the pond but, my grandma loved it more. She absolutely loved fishing before, she passed away. I come here once in a while to talk to her. I didn't talk to her in a long time so, I try to do that as often as I can, you know" I smile while looking at the water. The fonder memories overriding the bad right now.

There's a moment of silence.

'I knew he would judge me' I think. I sigh to break the tension surrounding us now.

He turns to me and touches my cheek with one of his big and warm hands, "How could anyone hate you for your grandmother's passing?" he asks sounding most sincere.

I put my hand on top of his hand, loving his touch, "It's just people judge people over petty things right? This isn't a petty thing so I've always thoughts I'd be judge for something for either not talking to her in a long time or something else" I turn away," I don't know. Mark, please just don't tell anybody".

I turn back to look at him and he looks as if I'd just slapped him in the face.

He stands up.

"You really think after everything I would tell someone something like this! I thought you knew me better than that" he says hurt.

He stands up, and begins to walk away angrily.

"Mark!" I stand up and rush to him to stop him from leaving like this, "I'm sorry! I should've known you wouldn't do that but, still your my new guy friend and your real tight with people in your, and in my class too". 

"And you think I'd tell them this?" he says disgusted almost

I nod timidly.

He runs his hands over his face in disbelief.

He walks over to me and hugs me.

"Sarah, if you really knew what I thought about you you'd have no reason not to trust me" he thought as he stroked my hair.

We stayed in this embrace for a second longer until, surprisingly, I was the one who broke the hug.

"We weren't supposed....to....do that".

Mark looks at me confused.

"Why not?"

"Well, Jasmine is your girlfriend right? You're not supposed to hug other girls when you have a girlfriend" I say softly as I'm backing away from him.

He looks as if he was about to say something, opened his mouth, and nothing came out.

"Weird" I think.

"Well, I'll text you later and I'm finish my walk and it's actually is getting dark. Congratulations on winning your playoffs and hope you absolutely love Florida when you go to the championships. It was cool hanging out with you outside of school, and stuff" I say as I am about to walk away from him sadly.

He walks away head down, and then I turn around. Suddenly, my phone vibrates. I got a text message and, I press the button to open it.

Mark

You can always trust that I'll won't tell your secrets. It's safe with me.

-Passage inspired by a real life event between me and a person.