Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

            Preston stood in front of the mirror as he fixed his tie. Today was Chloe’s funeral, it was going to be a bittersweet day. Preston was going to head back to school after the service. It was going to be a whole week without Robert. He wasn’t ready for that, without Robert there he didn’t know what he was going to do. He was going to be lonely and miserable. Two of the worse feelings to be combine. Preston gave himself one more look before heading downstairs.

            The drive to the funeral home was silenced, no one really knew what to say. Preston’s family really didn’t know Chloe that well, they were going in support for Robert. Preston looked out the window for the whole ride. He wasn’t sure how Robert was going to be today, for the last two days he had been able to keep it together. Today he felt like he was going to fall apart and to make things worse he wasn't going to be able to stay here with him. The only good thing that was going to come out of today was that Sebastian and Sidney were finally going home. Preston was only going to be able to spend a few hours with them before he would have to leave. It was truly going to be a bittersweet day.

            Preston found Robert seating in the front row by himself. He could see that he had his head down, he was most likely crying. Preston sat down next to him and placed his hand on Robert’s leg and patted him.

            “How are you doing?” Robert lifted his head and Preston was surprise to see  he looked fine.

            “Better now that you’re here.” Robert laced his fingers with Preston’s.

“Where is everybody?” Preston asked as he looked around and didn’t see anyone but his family and Vera.

            “They are on their way, I have been here since they opened up.”

“You should have told me, I could have come in with you.”

            “I know but I just wanted some time alone with her.” Preston nodded his head. Preston stayed with Robert throughout the whole service. Preston thought it was a nice service and was glad Robert was able to keep it together. They rode to the hospital to pick up Sebastian and Sidney, then they were going to head over to Robert’s house until it was time for Preston to leave.

Preston and Robert were sitting on the floor of the temporary room for Sebastian and Sidney. They both had just fallen asleep and they listened to their soft breathing. He was going to miss all three of them. He would at least get to see Robert in a week, but he was going to have to wait three weeks to see Sebastian and Sidney again. Preston looked at his watch again, it was almost time for him to head back home to leave back to Tallahassee. He was just tempted to stay, but knew Robert wouldn’t let him in fear he was going to fall behind on his school work. Preston sighed deeply.

“Well I guess it’s time I head out, I don’t want too but I really don’t have a choice.” Robert got up first and helps Preston up.

“I know I don’t want you to go either, but we both know you have to go back.” Preston sighed and  dropped his head onto Robert’s chest, Robert wrapped his arms around him. “Come on I will drive you home.”

When they got to Preston’s house they found Xavier, Vera and Ann Marie waiting for him.

“Well it’s about time, we have your bags in the car already.” Ann Marie said as she got in to the backseat of the car. Robert hugged Preston one more time.

“It’s only a week, it will be over before you know it.” Robert whispered into Preston’s ear.

“Just a week, but it’s  going to feel like an eternity.”