Chapter One

Chapter 1

            Two weeks had passed, Preston and Robert were trying to get settled into their new life together. They hadn’t had much time alone together; today Robert had to babysit his niece Zoë. Robert had lost a bet to Nora and now he was her personal salve for the next two weeks. Preston had volunteered to help him, he was going to have to get use to the idea of taking care of a baby, well two babies that is. In a few months Chloe was going to have the twins and Preston was going to be thrown into parenthood sooner then he would like. Preston was only nineteen years old and starting a family was the furthest thing on his mind. He wasn’t sure if it was because he was scared he won’t be able to handle it or if he just didn’t want a family. Preston had never really thought about having kids or ever really seeing himself getting married. When he was finally able to admit to himself he was gay, all that went out the window. He knew that marriage and having kids wasn’t going to be easy on a gay couple without people always judging them. Now he was engaged to the love of his life and they were going to become parents to a set of twins in a few months.

            He loved Robert, but two babies was going to be a lot of work for them, especially while both of them were going to school full time. He didn’t believe he could handle it all, but every time he saw Robert with his niece Zoë and how happy he is when she is around. He believed between the two of them they just might be able to handle it.

            Preston walks into the living room where he finds Robert on the floor with Zoë. He is just watching her as she is giggling and kicking up a storm. He smiles at how happy Robert is just watching her; he knows he is going to be a great dad. He just wasn’t sure if he was going to be a good dad. He has never really been around younger kids, being an only child didn’t give him the chance to be around kids his own age. It wasn’t until his parents took in his cousins did he finally have siblings but there were older than him. Zoë is the first baby he has actually been around. Preston loved her as much as Robert did, but he just couldn’t shake that nagging feeling in the back of his mind. Trying to tell him he isn’t ready to become a dad, he is too young and he has so much more to do in his life.

            “Hey amorcito,” Robert said as it made Preston snap out of his daze.

“Hey snookums,” Preston sits down in front of Robert. “She is so adorable when she is giggling.” Preston said as he let himself fall into place in Robert’s arms. Robert wrapped his arms around Preston and pulled him closer. He always felt better when he was in Robert’s arms.

            “She really is I can’t wait to see how our twins are going to look.” Our twins, more like his twins Preston felt. The babies weren’t going to share any of his DNA; he was just going to be like a stepfather to them. Sure their mother has some of the same physical features as Preston, but he was going to know they won’t ever truly belong to him. How were they ever going to explain to them that only Robert is really their dad and Preston is just their dad’s gay lover.

            “Yeah me too,” Preston said softly, he didn’t mean it but felt like it’s what he needs to say. He was trying so hard not to feel that way but it was just how he felt about all this. He only worried that Robert will pick up on how something was wrong and he will be forced to tell him what is bothering him. He didn’t know how he would react and if their love for each other was enough. Preston started at his engagement ring, he thought it was beautiful. Preston was once again snapped out of his daze and he felt Robert kissing his neck then more to his ear. He nibbled on his ear lobes and whispered, “What are you thinking about?” Preston let out a small gasp.

            “I was just admiring how beautiful my ring is, and how much I really love it.” Preston said as he turns to kiss Robert on the lips.