Chapter Two

Chapter Two

It was a week before the new semester was going to start and they were leaving to Tallahassee. Preston had been waiting for this day; he couldn't wait to spend a week alone with Robert with no distractions. Preston was packing his last bag, when he heard his mom calling him downstairs. He zipped up the bag and went downstairs; he went into the kitchen where his mom and dad were at.

"What's up?" Preston asked as he sat on the stool facing his parents.

"Just wanted to know what time you and Robert were taking off?" his dad asked.

"Um any minute now, he should be here to pick me up." Preston said with a smile.

"You have been looking forward to this haven't you?" his mom asked.

"Am I that obvious?"

"Just a little," his dad said and they started to laugh at him. "Hey I don't blame you; you two won't be having much time alone when the babies are born." Preston groaned, he didn't like to be reminded about that.

"Must you remind me, I'm counting down the few days we have before everything completely changes." Preston said as he dropped his head onto the counter.

"Aren't you excited about becoming a dad?" his mom asked, Preston lifted his head from the counter and looked at his parents.

"It's not that I don't want to become a dad, I'm just worried I might do something wrong. I have never been around a baby until just recently. So far that hasn't been going well, I just think babies don't like me." Preston said.

"Oh honey why do you say that?" his mom asked

"The last time I have tried to feed Robert's niece Zoë she started to make a choking sound and I panicked. I was lucky that Robert was there I don't know what I would have done."

"Oh come on it couldn't have been that bad, you just need to get use to taking care of a baby. No first time parents are perfect." His dad said.

"I know that's what Robert said too."

"You know once the twins are born, it will change how you feel. When you hold them in your arm for the first time and you stare into their eyes, you will fall in love with them. Any doubt you had will disappear. Trust me you're not the first to feel that way." Preston knew that his dad was right, but until then he was still going to have his doubts.

"So have you two thought of any baby names yet?" his mom asked.

"Well not really, we still have a while until they are born. So we are not in any rush yet."

"I wouldn't wait too long; they will be here before you know it. So have you two thought about when you two will get married?" His dad asked.

"Not really, I mean it's not like it is legal here in Florida. We would have to go to a state that it is legal, and even then it our marriage wouldn't be recognized here in the state of Florida."

"It's starting to sound like you don't even want to get married?" Preston looked at his dad, "I'm not saying you don't love Robert, I'm just saying it seems like the idea of marriage isn't all that important to you." It really wasn't, it didn't matter to Preston to have a piece of paper saying they were married, as long as he was with Robert he was happy with that.

"To tell you the truth it's not, I love Robert and he loves me. I don't need the states approval to say we are married. I think Robert feels the same way, or else he would have already made me elope with him in New York or somewhere it is legal." His parents chuckled; they knew he was right about the last part.