Act IV: Scene Seven

ACT IV
— Scene 7 —
P O V : L O U I S
DAY FIFTEEN

Song: Home by One Direction

I honestly didn't know what I expected when the door opened.

There he was, standing in his skinny jeans and a typical flowy shirt, with three of the buttons undone. My eyes trailed to his bare chest, inked with the tattoos I had been dreaming about seeing again. His hair was the usual mess, and dark circles hung under his eyes. He would've looked horrendous to anyone else, yet in my eyes he was flawless.

He stood there for a few seconds, staring me down without a word. I stared back in awe, trying to read his expression. He frowned, shaking his head, and slammed the door in my face.

Oh.

I sighed, bringing my fist to the door again to knock on it once more.

"Go away," said Harry from inside the house.

"Harry, c'mon," I pleaded, "Let me in, we need to talk."

"No."

I shut my eyes, resting my head against the door. "Please, love."

I waited a few moments until I felt the door slowly open. Harry faced me once again.

"Hi," I breathed out. "Can I come in?"

Harry stared at me for a while, as if he was deciding whether or not to let me in. Eventually, he nodded and stepped back.

"Harry, I don't even know where to start-"

"Why are you here?" Harry asked, interrupting me.

I took a deep breath. "I messed up, I know."

He crossed his arms over his torso. "No shit."

"I'm going to be completely honest with you," I started, already feeling fidgety.

"I don't have any experience with... relationships. Like, at all, you know? So that kind of stuff scares me," I explained, "That's why when you asked me about us, I kind of freaked out, because the idea of making things official was terrifying."

I paused, trying to read Harry's expression. It was blank.

"But I did love the idea of kissing you, touching you, and holding you close to me. That's what I wanted. I thought, I don't know, I could do all those things with you, and nothing would get too serious."

At this point, I was shaking. I had never expressed such intimate feelings to anyone.

"And then there was the whole thing with Sean," I said, "The thing is, I knew nothing was actually going on, but I didn't want to admit that to myself. I thought that, by leaving, I'd spare you a broken heart."

With that, I finished and looked back up at Harry.

"Can you at least say something?" I asked, starting to get frustrated.

"By leaving, you broke my heart," he said softly. "You know that, right?"

I sighed, nodding.

"Couldn't you have just talked to me?" he asked, clearly annoyed. I could see tears starting to fill his eyes.

I bit my lip. "Yeah, that's why I'm here now. So we can talk things out."

He hesitated, before nodding his head.

"About the Sean thing," said Harry, "In a way, I also fucked up. The truth is, he had been flirting with me ever since I walked into that art class. I didn't want to be rude and reject him, so I let it slide. It kept getting worse though, and I didn't know what to do."