Act III: Scene Nine

ACT III
— Scene 9 —
P O V : L O U I S

It was seven in the morning, and here I was in the kitchen, attempting to make breakfast for Harry.

He was still fast asleep in the room, so I had to be quiet.

I got the toast out of the toaster, and began to cut a hole in the middle of each piece.

I peered at the recipe on my phone and took a deep breath. This had to be perfect.

Yet I felt immensely stupid.

I guess I woke up wanting to make something special, and something besides cereal. I ended up scrolling through stupid Pinterest tutorials until I found something he would like.

Just as I was finishing up the holes, Grace walked into the kitchen.

"Whatcha up to?" she asked, yawning.

I jumped, startled by her sudden appearance. "Uh, just making breakfast."

"For yourself?"

"For Harry, really."

She nodded, walking over to the mess I created out of the toast.

"Are those meant to be hearts?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"Um, yeah," I mumbled, avoiding eye contact, "I'm cutting heart-shaped holes in the toast, and then frying an egg inside. Do you think he'll like it?"

She scoffed, "Not with your amateur culinary skills. Let me see the recipe."

I handed her my phone, and she smiled. "I can take care of this."

I nodded and watched her turn on the stove. We stayed in silence as she hummed to herself.

"So, you and Harry?" she spoke up.

I coughed uncomfortably. "There's nothing going on between us, not really."

She froze and turned around to face me.

"Really?"

I shook my head, watching her place the pieces of toast on the griddle.

"Nothing at all?"

"Nope."

"So you just," she waved her spatula around, "Make heart-shaped food for all your guy friends now?"

I pressed my lips together and nodded.

She sighed. "That's ridiculous. I've never seen you look at anyone like you look at Harry."

"Trust me, we're completely platonic," I assured her, "Remember Melina and Ava? They acted just like we do."

She burst out laughing as I squinted my eyes.

"What?"

"They're dating now, you know."

"Oh," I said," Bad example, I guess."

She snorted, cracking an egg inside each piece of toast. "So if you're apparently not in love with him-"

"I'm not"

"-You don't mind if I take credit for the breakfast?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but before I could say anything, Harry walked into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes.

"Morning sunshine," he mumbled, dragging his feet over to where I stood. Grace watched, hands on her hips, as Harry leaned over and pressed a soft kiss on my cheek.

"Hi Grace, what are you making?" he then asked.

Grace broke into a theatrical grin and narrowed her eyes at me as she said, "Just something I whipped up, since I have a guest and all."