Act III: Scene Sixteen

ACT III
— Scene 16 —
P O V : L O U I S

AN: Blast "No Goodbyes" by Dua Lipa during this chapter!

I had to tell him.

Ever since Harry left, the only thing I could think about was the question he asked me this morning. It had taken me by surprise, and made me realise that I needed to figure out what I wanted.

So here I was, taking a walk through Camden. It was something I did whenever I needed to clear my head, and it gave me more time to think.

After thinking long and hard, I finally decided on my answer.

I knew things would be better if we just stayed as friends.

It made sense. Harry deserved someone amazing to love, and someone to love him just as much in return.

And that person just couldn't be me.

I couldn't deny that I liked Harry. I really, really did. But I couldn't put him through the mess of such a confusing and unclear relationship, and I think he deserved something more stable. Besides, Harry clearly had something going on with Sean, too. I didn't want to get in the way of that.

I was doing this because I care about him.

I wanted him to be happy.

I pondered a bit longer as I approached our home.

I opened the front door and stepped inside, pushing away any doubt I had. I walked into the living room, expecting to see Harry sprawled on the couch as usual. However, he was nowhere to be seen.

"Harry?" I called out, pacing around the ground floor. When there was no response, I went upstairs, expecting to catch him dancing to some Britney Spears again.

However, once I reached the first floor, I noticed that the bedroom door was shut.

I knocked twice, not hearing a word from inside the room.

The door was unlocked, so I opened it, expecting to find an empty room. What I saw instead was Harry, sat on the edge our bed with his back turned.

"Hey, uh, Harry... I wanted to talk to you about-"

He turned to me, revealing his blotchy, tear-stained face. He didn't have to say anything for me to know that he was miserable.

Concern sprawled across my face. Without thinking, I rushed over to sit beside him, taking his hand.

"Harry, I-"

He cut me off once again, pulling back his scarf as if he wanted to show me something underneath.

I leaned closer, my eyes widening when I saw his neck covered in at least a dozen hickies.

Fuck.

"I didn't want this to happen," he swore, another tear falling down his cheek.

"Oh, Haz..."

I pulled him close to me, engulfing him in a tight hug. I hated seeing him this upset; it broke my heart.

"I'm sorry," he said, again and again, "I'm so, so sorry."

I shut my eyes and held him tighter.

"Don't apologise," I whispered.

He shouldn't feel bad for being intimate with someone else. Harry deserved someone better than me.

And now, I knew I was right. Harry and Sean were an item, and it was my time to step out of the picture.