Act II: Scene Eight

ACT II
— Scene 8 —
P O V : H A R R Y

I opened the door to the art class, relieved to be in my happy place once again.

I was greeted by the usual smiles and welcomes coming from the other classmates. I walked to my spot, where Sean was already setting up his easel.

"Hey curly," he beamed as soon as he saw me.

I wrinkled my nose at the disgusting pet name.

"Hey, wait, what was your name again?" I asked. Sean's face dropped disappointedly.

"It's Sean," He said. I nodded, snapping my fingers.

"Right, Sean; I'm bad with names."

This was a lie. I've always been quite good with names; I just didn't want to admit it to him.

The teacher clapped her hands, trying to get our attention. Me and Sean looked her way, but everyone else continued their chatter.

She sighed, trying again with no success, to raise the attention of the rest of the class. Sean rolled his eyes.

"Y'all, shut up and pay attention," Sean exclaimed to the class. I turned to him, confused.

"Did you just say y'all?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah?" Sean said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Are you like, American or something?" I asked, and he furrowed his eyebrows.

"No, I'm English. But you know, people say y'all on Tumblr, so I started saying it too," he explained casually.

I felt like rolling my eyes, but I stopped myself; I didn't want to start anything with him.

The teacher explained to us that the prompt was to paint the person next to you. Kill me now.

It's not like I hated Sean. Yes, he was a bit strange, but I didn't dislike him. Either way, I would much rather paint something, or someone of interest to me.

I sighed, and went to grab some brushes and paint. When I returned to my spot, Sean had already gotten started.

He mixed together an olive green colour, and started on the background.

"It matches those gorgeous eyes of yours," he told me, winking.

I nodded, and looked back at my empty canvas. Should I match his eye colour as well? No, that's weird.

I chose a baby blue instead.

---

The class was nearing the end, and due to the complexity of the prompt, most of us still had a lot left of the painting.

The teacher told us to take a picture of our partner, so we could finish the painting at home.

I got out my phone and snapped a picture of Sean with a serious face, and then he took a picture of me, smiling.

"Let me see the picture," I said, feeling self-conscious. He went to his photos and showed me it.

"My teeth look really weird," I noticed.

"Are you kidding?" Sean asked, "They look perfect."

I smiled a bit uncomfortably and gathered my things.

I put my phone in my back pocket, and was startled when it immediately buzzed.

Louis: Meet me at Stables Market, Mezz 2, Chalk Farm Rd, NW1 8AH