Act III: Scene Eight

ACT III
— Scene 8—
P O V : L O U I S

I started up the car whilst Harry hopped into the passenger seat.

"How come you never drive this thing?" Harry asked, buckling his seatbelt as I backed out of our street.

I shrugged. "I like to save money with public transportation and all," I explained.

"Besides," I added, turning to him, "Biking is better."

Harry nodded, biting his lip.

When we reached the highway, he placed his hand on my thigh, letting out a deep breath.

I turned to smirk at him.

"Eyes on the road, Tommo!" he teased, sticking his tongue out.

I looked back at the road, seeing Harry fiddle with the radio dial out of the corner of my eye.

"Hey, you finally figured it out," I joked, "No windshield wipers this time."

He laughed, landing on a station that played Vogue by Madonna.

"Haven't listened to this song in ages," he admitted, starting to mouth the words.

Soon, his mumbling turned into full-on belting, and he lifted his hand off my leg to raise both arms in the air.

"Harry, you know why Madonna sings this song?" I asked.

He squinted his eyes, lowering his arms.

"Why?"

"So you don't have to."

He slapped me on the thigh, leaving his hand resting there again, "Hey!"

I sighed, letting my smile fade, "This is exactly like the day we met."

"Is it?" he asked, sinking into his seat, "What did you think of me then?"

I thought for a bit. "I thought you were some weirdo dancing awkwardly in my car."

"And what about now?" he asked hopefully.

"Now that I think about it," I said, "You're just the same."

He bit his lip again, clearly trying not to turn into a smiling, blushing mess.

"I remember when you fell asleep, and looked like a cute little kitten," I said, "But little did I know, you're actually a drooling, clammy mess when you sleep."

"You love it."

---

Four hours had passed, and surprisingly, Harry was still wide awake.

I was starting to recognise my surroundings as we got closer to my old campus.

"Hey look, that's the ice cream shoppe Grace and I used to go to all the time!" I exclaimed.

Harry's eyes landed on the place. "It looks very... retro."

"Yeah," I said, "That's what makes it unique."

"And there's the Tesco," I added. Harry hummed in response, drumming his fingertips against my thigh.

"And the dry cleaners."

"And the charity shoppe."

"And the... oh, we're here." I smiled to myself. "There's the campus."

I pulled into the driveway, feeling Harry squeeze my thigh.

"I can hardly contain my excitement," he said.

"Hey," I whined, "Cheer up."

"I'm serious! I'm excited to see your old campus, and the infamous Grace, of course," he gushed.