Place in this World

*Dedicated to KissesFromK for the banner to the side*

'Oh I'm just a girl, trying to find a place in this world'

"Hey Lennon!" Ryder called from across the gym late Monday night. 

"Yeah?" I called back looking over from the ladder where I was hanging up the lights with Clary. 

Ryder grinned at me and stood up on a chair with one of The Beatles records and began singing (very badly might I add) 

"All you need is love!" He sang, and it was clear he was intentionally trying to be bad but it just made me laugh even harder how he almost fell off the chair as he blew me a kiss dramatically and almost feel off his chair. 

"Your such a doofus." I laughed back jokingly. 

He winked at me and in response I rolled my eyes before going back to work, the gym was beginning to look better and better and with prom only days away the school and our lives were in complete chaos. The halls were littered with prom posters for tickets, king and queen, and any extra helpers and our classes were slowly winding down as the end of the year approached. To say that I wasn't freaking out would be an understatement. 

As for Summer, she  had managed to get her brother who had a condo in Adelaide to let him stay with her so she had moved out just in time for my dad to come back meaning--he had no idea about Summer staying with us. 

But me and Summer had found this weird and unlikely friendship while she had been living with us. Now we walked to class together, talked about the summer and most of all prom and graduation. Clary was a shoe-in for Valedictorian and our red, white, and black cape and gowns were being delivered a few days after prom and honestly... I was freaking out. 

"Ness!" Shae called from behind me, I turned around and looked over to where she was and felt my stomach drop. Standing beside her was.... my dad. 

"Dad?" I asked nervously as I began making my way down the ladder and started walking towards him "What are you...what are you doing here?" 

"May I talk to you for a minute Vanessa?" He asked calm and coolly and I literally gulped. This can't be good. 

I followed him out of the gym, feeling everyone's eyes on my back as we walked down the hall before going to an empty hallway. "What's up?" 

"Well, I got home today--Looking in the mailbox for a letter for you to Yale and instead I get another different letter from a different school." 

"What?" I asked clearly puzzled "But... all my other schools already replied saying I got in." 

"Yes but this isn't a school that I thought or approved that you could reply to." 

I was beyond confused, I was positive I had only applied to 6 schools--and those six schools were only ones that my father had approved of. Yale, Brown, Princeton, Michigan, Stratford... and they had all replied to me. What school could it be? 

My dad reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a letter before handing it to me. I turned it over to see who it was from and let a gasp escape from my lips. 

New York University, NYU... 

"What? But---but.... I didn't apply!" 

"Read it." He clipped sternly. 

I ripped open the envelope, but saw it wasn't the usual layout of an acceptance, or decline letter but instead the standard and typical letter.