Chapter 16: Contradictions

'I'm hungry,' the black-haired child thought.

It was a hot, sunny day in the Hidden Sand village. Wherever she looked, Ayame always see sand. Lots and lots of sand. Of course, she can't complain since she was the one who forced her parents to bring her with them on this business trip they had. It's just that she didn't like being alone back home (her sister was on an escort mission). So with great effort, a lot of begging, crying, shreiking, kicking and possibly giving her parents a bit of a trauma, she finally made them succumb to her wish.

The village wasn't really much; just sand and sand and sand everywhere. And the heat. Ah, the heat. Yeah, she didn't like the sun much; they were mortal enemies since her birth. Ayame liked her skin pale, but the sun always see to it that she wouldn't. She liked to be fresh always, but the sun liked to stretch out its annoying little heat rays and hit her with its.... heatness.

The child sighed, then continued to walk around the village, looking here and there for any kind of entertainment source.

Finally, after what seemed like years, she found boys playing soccer on a playground.

Ayame snorted. The boys weren't good actually, she observed, they just like to kick the ball. Which is of course the way you play it, but still.

Strategy is always needed in this kind of things. Just like when going on a mission, you need a strategy to achieve whatever goal you were given. Same as soccer. Or dodgeball. Or any kind of game for that matter.

Her parents would always say that.

She sighed, and was about to ask them if she could play too, when she spotted a boy on the sandbox, alone. She stopped and stared.

He was dark.... and also beautiful. His eyes were the color of the sea---one of her favorite colors since she and her family went to a vacation and went to the sea. But that wasn't what caught her. No. It was his hair. His hair was the color of blood, the color she most despised in the world.

Basically the boy was a contradiction in her eyes.

Without knowing about it, her feet was already moving towards the boy. She wanted to know who this contradiction was. She wanted to know how a person can be so.... beautiful, for lack of better word, yet dark.

Ayame wasn't a girly girl. She didn't talk about boys like the others in her school does. She really didn't have any interest at all. But the boy was different. There was something about him that makes her want to approach him and just.....

'Kill him,' a voice in her head suddenly said. Actually it wasn't a voice, but voices. It was like the voices of a thousand souls all shouting the same thing.

Ayame stopped, stiffened, then looked around, trying to find the source. She gulped down her fear, then shook her head.

'No. It was nothing. You were hallucinating, Ayame!' she shouted in her head. After all, she really was just hallucinating, right? Right? It was the heat, right?

Right?

Ayame shook her head again, then started walking. When she was about to reach the boy, she stopped.

Sand was swirling around the boy. He was holding a ball in his hands, and his delicate face was twisted to sheer horror. Ayame frowned, then looked behind her to see why the boy was so scared.

She was not prepared for the sight.

Sand was attacking the boys who, just a minute ago, was playing soccer.

Ayame stared, eyes wide, as the scene unfold to her. But she wasn't scared, not really. No. She was.... fascinated. She was fascinated at the elegance of the sand. Of how the sand seemed to move with a mind of its own.

She shook her head, erasing the more-than-weird thoughts in her head. She turned around to shout at the red-head when she stopped.

Her surroundings were red. Everything was in different shades of red.

Ayame froze in her tracks, now scared at what's happening. What's going on? What? Why.... red?

Her eyes travelled to the boy with the sand to call for help, but she never got to.

Her eyes met his.

Red and green.

Ayame screamed.

=======
Heyo! Been a long time, huh? =w= I know, sorry! I honestly cannot express how sorry I am. Many things have been happening in my life that I just couldn't take the energy to continue this without somehow ruining it. I had to take leave for a few months.....Basically, it was just poems and poems for me, and no stories. (>.<) 

Anywhores! This is the next chapter! Hope you like it. =) Comment what you think. All kinds of opinions are welcomed. Vote if you liked.

Thanks for the time! =)