Chapter 18: Friends

"We'll meet up at the gates in ten minutes, got it?" I heard Kakashi instruct, then he left.

Sakura sighed. "I cannot believe we're doing a C-ranked mission so early from our graduation!"

"I can't believe that we're doing a different mission," I muttered so they wouldn't hear.

It's been fifteen minutes since the old man told us that we were to do a "research mission", whatever that means, and still I can't quite believe that we were doing it. Based on his instructions, he told us that we would go to a ruined town a little farther from the Sand Village. He never really did told us what we would do there, but when I asked, he just smiled mysteriously and said that we would know when we get there.

I sighed heavily, feeling all the weight of sleepless nights fall down on me.

Ever since that horrible, bloody dream, I couldn't sleep right. My nights were bombarded with nightmares of blood and screaming that every night I would be afraid to fall asleep and see it all again.

And then there's the thing I learned at the Hyuuga compound....

I glanced at Sasuke and stared at him frustratingly. What the hell is wrong with his family? Weren't they satisfied enough that they wanted to start a new war? Weren't they content enough with their lives that they wanted to have more power?

Weren't they happy enough with what they have?

"..... Sasuke-kun?" A voice brought me out of my thoughts.

I jumped, startled, then saw the others looking at me with weird looks.

"What?" I asked, completely confused.

"Ayame-chan...." Naruto started. "I didn't know you like Sasuke...." he finished, looking a bit bummed.

I choked, coughing hard. "What!" I exclaimed, completely horrified. "Why, in the name of all that is good and holy, would you even think of something so disgusting, so horrible and pathetic as that, Naruto?! I thought you know me!"

"Hey, what was that supposed to mean?" Sakura asked, anime veins popping out.

Naruto looked sheepish. "Well, you were staring at him hard, so....."

My mouth gaped, staring at him with disbelief. Then I shook my head as if clearing my thoughts, closed my eyes, and took a deep breath. After a few seconds, I exhaled slowly, then opened my eyes.

"Naruto...." I started, my eyes twitching a little. "If I ever---and I mean ever hear you say that again, I will not hesitate to beat yo effing ass, got it?"

He nodded, complying and looking a bit scared.

I smiled sickly sweet. "Good. Now, if you'll excuse me, I will go home, pack, puke my guts out and restrain myself from strangling every single person I see with black and blonde hair." I glared at Naruto and Sasuke at the last part, promising a life full of pain and pain.

Naruto gulped, and I swore, Sasuke, too.

"You better be telling the truth," Sakura interrupted so gracefully, not noticing the murderous glare I'm giving the two.

I whipped my head to face her, but my eyes must've told everything because she froze, then started sweating profusely.

"I-I m-mean w-w-we sh-should be going now, right?" She laughed nervously.

I waited a few minutes, then huffed turning around to go home. After one step, I stopped and turned around again.

"I thought you were my friend," I said with a bit contempt at Naruto, to which he answered with widened eyes and a shocked expression.