That Magnetic Pull - Ch. 17 - "One Day"

So, I decided that this is going to be the last chapter of this story. Since this is the end, I feel that a disclaimer is needed for my story. To all fans of and people associated with the Chicago Blackhawks and/or Patrick Sharp, my story, its plot line, and all original characters created within it are complete works of fiction. I do not own or possess rights to either the organization or the actual person both mentioned previously. All that I have written to lead to a final outcome in which a story was created were neither truths nor actual events that have taken place over the course of time, but they have been influenced somewhat by facts. My story and everything within it do not directly reflect my own personal views of the team, Mr. Sharp, or his personal life.

Now that that's over with, I'm glad for how successful this story had become and I'm so thankful for all the readers and fans that I've acquired along the way. I really love you guys and I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for your support.

I hope you enjoy this last installment and know that an epilogue is in the works as you read this.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

That Magnetic Pull - Chapter 17 - "One Day"

Patrick held my hand tightly as we walked back to my Southern California home. Silence engulfed us as we slowly made our way back to my building after having rented a couple movies from a nearby Blockbuster that was only a short walk from my home. The night was dark and most of the stars above us only shown lightly due to the bright streetlights lining the relatively quiet and deserted street. Our feet made light thuds against the concrete of the sidewalk with each step we took, our moods both solemn and heavy.

The silence was only prolonged as we reached my building and made our way back up to my unit. Once I had opened the door and we both made our way inside, we took off our shoes and thin sweaters simultaneously before Patrick made his way to the living room while I continued on to the kitchen.

I leaned back against the granite countertops of my kitchen after plugging in and turning on the black, round popcorn maker and filling it with kernels and oil. I patiently waited for the popping to stop, all the while hearing Patrick moving around in the nearby room. He had been quiet since dinner and, in fear of upsetting him even further, I stayed quiet with him. Earlier, during dinner on his last day in California with me, he tried to ask me once more to come and stay in Chicago with him. I had initially thought that by showing him that I had friends here that would take care of me and exhibiting exactly how my life went during the school year, he would be more comfortable with the idea of us being apart. However, it seemed to have made no difference because he still made a last plea for me to join him in Chicago. Despite a small part of me wanting to take his offer, I had to be reasonable and decline once again. I had a feeling that I repeated myself almost completely during that conversation, reiterating the same words I had spoken a couple weeks before.

He understood. I knew he did, but it didn't stop him from sulking or being a tad bit distant. Either way, I didn't anticipate his last night here being spent like this. I wanted to cherish this because it would be that last moments we would be able to share for a while. He had a career that needed him to be in Chicago and traveling and I had an education that I needed to focus on and finish.

I sighed as I transferred the popcorn from the maker into a plastic container making sure that it was filled to the brim and more. While also grabbing a couple more snacks and drinks from the fridge, I made my way to the living room and saw Patrick comfortable and relaxed on my couch. I set the unopened bags of chips and snacks on the small, wooden coffee table along with the bottled drinks before setting myself next to him and snuggling into this side. I was braced for rejection if it came, but I was relieved to find him pulling me to him even closer.