That Magnetic Pull - Ch. 2 - "The Last Word"

Small note:

Please vote if you like what I'm writing [:

I'm not saying that you have to vote but, hey, its anonymous :D

Comment or vote please?

And, as I wrote on the prologue, those three paragraphs are the skeleton of this story. I'll let you guys know what part of the prologue I'm up to as I go along. Just a warning, though: There's a lot of dramatic irony between the prologue and the actual story ;]

This chapter focuses on the phrase from the prologue, "...Or allowing people to convince me to do things that are clearly not a good option."

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

That Magnetic Pull - Chapter 2 - "The Last Word"

I stepped out of the cab as it pulled up to the front of the large skyscraper that I called my office building. My pace was slow, knowing that I had plenty of time to make it to the 23rd floor office suite. I slowly passed the concierge desk and began making my way past the lounge area to the elevators. Halfway to the metal boxes that were going to lift me to my destination, a familiar voice called out.

"Hey!" it called out.

Reflexively, I spun around and began scanning the crowd for the voice. I spotted his large frame getting up from one of the plush, black suede couches of the lounge area and saw him immediately bound over to me. I raised my eyebrows at him and turned my back on him once again, not sure if he was worth my time.

"Hey! Wait," he said again as he grabbed my upper arm with one of his large hands.

He stood at my left, his right hand grabbing my left upper arm. I looked up at him questioningly causing him to immediately drop his hand.

"Can I help you?" I asked whilst continuing my way towards the elevators. "And why are you here?"

"Uh, I had to meet with someone in one of the offices here and I also knew you'd be coming back soon so I waited around," he said just as I pressed the up button for the elevator. "And yeah, you can help me."

I gaped at him disbelievingly, his answer annoying me.

"With what?" I asked slowly as if I was talking to someone whose brain didn't work at quite the same speed as mine.

"Oh yeah!" he exclaimed after a moment of thought. "Tell me your name."

"Going up," the elevator operator suddenly announced after the metal doors of the one before me slid open.

"Oh look at that! Got no time," I said cheerily. "See you around."

I smiled at him once I was on the elevator and gave him a slight wave. He looked slightly dumbfounded as the elevator doors slid to a close and he lost sight of me. I chuckled lightly to myself and leaned against the back wall of the elevator, crossing my arms across my chest. I've learned how the city works and unless you really know someone well or a person is introduced to you by someone you know well, you really shouldn't talk to a person you've just happened to bump into out in the streets. Even talking to someone that you have a good vibe about can be a risk. Trust is another problem I have with the city. It's hard to know who to trust and who to keep your wall on guard for. It's genuinely true that city life keeps you on your toes.

As the elevator doors slid open directly to the entrance of the advertising company's office suite, I immediately got my head back into the game. This was business, there's no time to let my mind roam. I wound my way through the maze of cubicles and hallways of personal offices to the grand office of my boss, Mrs. DeMarrian.