That Magnetic Pull - Ch. 12 - "Bittersweet"

Posting of new story chapters have slowed down drastically for a couple of reasons. First, I've been finding myself growing increasingly busy towards the end of EACH week. Hence, the time I spend with my laptop on my lap and the clacking of the keyboard echoing throughout the room is becoming more limited. Second, I've begun to edit the currently active stories. I work my way backwards when it comes to editing, starting from the latest posted chapter to the very first. Just thought it was extremely needed. Lastly, I've found some MAJOR mistakes I've made in the execution of the plot line I've originally planned (for both active stories) resulting in me staring into space, trying to figure out how to still make it all work without having to rewrite chapters, for prolonged periods of time.

Yup.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

That Magnetic Pull - Chapter 12 - "Bittersweet"

I giddily walked into work with my phone pressed against my ear, successfully receiving a raised eyebrow from Shelly. She mouthed a "Why are you so happy?" at me, to which she only received a raised pointer finger asking her to wait a second. As I settled into my computer chair, my bag on the desk in front of me, I laughed once more as Patrick continued to whine on the other end of the call.

"Why, Lynn?" he whined pathetically. "Why do you have to work today?"

"Patrick," I said with a roll of my eyes that he wasn't even going to see. "I only have a half-day today. I'm sure that you'll survive."

As soon as Shelly realized who I was on the phone with, she shook her head with a chuckle as if she should have known all along.

"But it's your birthday!" he reasoned.

"Pat, I only have to be at work for four hours for that very reason," I pointed out.

"Yeah, but I had a whole day planned," he said, somewhat frustrated. "A whole day that included a morning together."

"We still get a whole afternoon and an evening," I rationalized.

He sighed heavily on the other end, a sign that he was finally surrendering on the issue. I smiled somewhat victoriously, knowing that if he had kept it up, I would have relented and begged Mrs. DeMarrian to let me off for the whole day.

"Okay," he sulked.

"Don't let them work you too hard this morning," he pressed.

"Yes, Patrick," I said with a chuckle.

"I love you, baby," he said. "Happy birthday!"

"I love you, too. And thank you," I replied lovingly. "Bye, Pat."

"Bye, babe."

After I set down the phone, I spotted Shelly looking at me with the most triumphant grin on her face.

"Do you want to say something, Shel?" I asked cautiously.

"Hold on," she said, holding a finger up. "Wait for it."

After a few seconds, I cringed at what came.

"We told you so!" Shelly and Mrs. DeMarrian, who was in her office and out of sight, screamed in unison.

They both laughed as Mrs. DeMarrian made her way out of her office and into the office's reception where Shelly and I both had out desks set up.

"He's was perfect," Mrs. DeMarrian stated.

"For you," Shelly added.

"He's handsome," Mrs. DeMarrian continued.

"And sweet," Shelly said with a wiggle of her eyebrows.