That Magnetic Pull - Ch. 5 - "Lunch"

I just want to start off by saying that I'm really grateful for the fans I have. Although many of you are silent readers, or maybe you're just not reading this at all (which means you probably won't see this small message), I still <3 ya! Hehe. Since you pressed the "Become a Fan" button in the first place and I really do appreciate that.

Okay, that's it for now. Two new fans today and that made me AMAZINGLY happy :DDD

(I went to the mall today and realized I had forgotten my wallet at home. I was so depressed earlier.)

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

That Magnetic Pull - Chapter 5 - "Lunch"

Patrick held the door open for me as we entered a small deli as I mumbled a soft thank you for the slightly chivalrous act. Staying relatively near to my office building, we didn't want to stray too far and have to deal with cabs and city traffic. The restaurant had a diner feel to it as well as a dash of modern design. It had the stools along a bar in one side while booths lined the other side. In between was a mixture of stand-alone booths and regular tables. With shades of red, a light tan, and black used as the main tones of the small deli, a feel of nostalgia for 50's diners overcame me. As we grabbed a booth off to the side of the restaurant, Patrick and I sat at opposing sides of the table as we both quickly glanced at our phones. Hearing him chuckle, I looked up at him with a sheepish grin.

"Another habit?" I offered as an explanation to the weird act.

"I'll have to agree with you on that," he said with a small nod. "I never noticed it until now, actually, when we both did it at the same time and I though about it a little."

"Want to know the truth behind it for me?" I asked him, with an amused smile on my face just thinking about the true reason behind the habit.

When all I got was a nod, I took a sip of the water offered to us along with our menus immediately after we sat down.

"Less than a year ago, I was sucked into that trend when you wear the tightest pants as possible and, whenever I sat down, my phone would literally feel like it was stabbing into my thigh," I explained as I chuckled. "And I didn't want to prove to my mom that she was correct about my pants being too tight, so I always pretended that I was checking my phone whenever I sat down so I had a reason to pull it out of my pocket. It usually didn't go back in until I stood up again."

Patrick let out a hearty laugh as my face turned the slightest tinge of red. As I looked back on it at that moment, I saw how stupid I must have been for both dealing with the extreme discomfort and the inconvenience just so I could be a part of a trend.

"Wow," he began after calming himself down.

"That totally beats my reason. I just have a ton of people calling and texting me all the time that I almost always have my phone on silent mode. Sometimes, I happen to not feel the vibrations and I end up missing calls or leaving messages unread. It just became a habit to check it every time I sit down and had the time to glance over it," he finished with a shrug.

"That's lame," I stated bluntly just as the waitress came over and asked for our orders. As she spoke, Patrick was chuckling at my comment. I sent him a wink and a small smile crept up on his face.

After orders were sent for some kind of sandwich for Patrick and a cheese and fruit platter for me, Patrick looked at me expectantly. Surely, he was waiting for another comment about exactly why I though it was lame. I gave my shoulders a light shrug and saw him smile and lean back onto his side of the booth. I grabbed a sugar packet from a container against the wall and began playing with it. I lifted my gaze from the small packet and met his with a mischievous look.