Chapter 2 - Call Me Hughsey

"You're late," Will said as his last two best friends hopped into the back seat of Cash's car a few minutes later.

"School doesn't start for another, like, 10 minutes," Liv replied, pretending to check a watch that wasn't on her wrist. "We're not late, Will. Unclench, geez," she finished, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, but we were gonna meet up and hang out half an hour before school, remember?" Cash reminded her, handing them both a hash brown.

"Sorry, we had stuff to do," Emmie answered cryptically, chewing on her hash brown.

Emmie Lawson was a city girl but truly a country girl at heart. She was a little tomboyish at times, though still liked to dress up and cake on the makeup – in a good way, not like, a drag queen way. She had blonde hair and blue eyes that most people would kill for, and a body she liked to call 'voluptuous' – she'd kick your ass flat if you ever dared call her fat. And she wasn't really fat, just not media thin, and she was happy with that. "More cushion for the pushin'," Emmie would say, and she sure did a lot of "pushin'", being the more 'sexually experienced' of the five of them. What Will loved most about Emmie was that she lacked the brain-mouth filter like Liv, saying pretty much anything that came to mind.

"Nice hair, Will, you look like a matchstick," Liv teased, ruffling Will's hair as she took a bite from the hash brown. Will ignored her comment, taking a sip from his coffee. Liv eyed the caffeine and grabbed at it, stealing Will's drink away from him.

"Oh my god, I said that too!" both Cash and Kimi exclaimed happily, once again giving each other high fives while Liv and Emmie looked slightly confused.

"Seriously, we spend too much time together for you all to come up with the same comparison," Will moaned, rolling his eyes as he grabbed his coffee back from Liv.

"I thought of a tampon first, but whatever," Emmie commented absentmindedly, shrugging her shoulder and finishing the last bite of her hash brown.

The other three girls groaned at Emmie's comparison as Will wrinkled his nose, blocking any mental images trying to sneak their way in.

Now, Will wouldn't confidently say this applied to all gay guys, but to many, the image of the vagina wasn't something they particularly ever want to imagine, and he was sure there'd be some who would be a little grossed out by them. For some reason, Will always imagined vaginas having teeth and could never shake the insane image out of his head no matter how much he told himself that it wasn't true. Being forced to watch Teeth at a sleepover didn't help things either. Will decided to abandon this train of thought since it wasn't leading anywhere good, returning his attention back to the conversation.

"But tampons are white and Will's tan-ish," Kimi had just pointed out as she texted someone else at the same time.

"See, I'm not pale enough, Casper," Will quickly quipped, a sly dig at Emmie's alabaster pale complexion. Emmie childishly made a face in return, leading Will to respond with the same face.

"OK, stop you guys!" Cash interjected, pushing Will and Emmie's faces away from each other, as the two continued to make faces. "Seriously, are you two like 5?" Cash sighed, wondering how she ended up friends with these idiots.

"Ooh, who's that?!" Liv asked, pointing to the new guy, partly out of interest but mostly just to stop the silliness.

"The new kid," Kimi responded, not looking up from her mobile as she continued to text someone.

"Hey, isn't he Stacey Harcroft's boyfriend too?" Emmie commented.

"Since when?" Cash asked as Kimi finally looked up from her phone, her gossip radar obviously picking up on this new information.

"How did you know that?" Kimi questioned.

"What? It was all over Facebook yesterday!" Emmie said, throwing her hands up in defence. Kimi continued to give her a questioning glare. "Wow, look at that! I knew something before Kimi did!" Emmie teased, poking Kimi lightly on the cheek, only causing Kimi to deepen her glare. Kimi sort of took pride in knowing gossip before anyone else, especially in their little group.

"Guys, shut up, Stacey's coming!" Cash shushed, pointing to the approaching Amazonian beauty.

Stacey Harcroft was that girl in high school, y'know, the tall, gorgeous, skinny, model-esque one who every guy wanted to be with, every girl wanted to be, and every flamboyant homosexual wanted to dress up. The girl with legs for days and porcelain smooth skin. You would think that she'd be a bitch, but no, she was kind and sweet too. Her only downfall was that she was the slightest bit dumb, but in a naïve way, not a Karen from Mean Girls way.

They watched as she approached the new kid, her caramel brown hair pulled into a ponytail as she slinked her arms around his right arm and hung on him in that way that girls do. They continued to watch in silence as Stacey and the new kid exchanged a few words before the two lovebirds walked towards the school.

"Did you happen to get the name last night, Em?" Kimi asked, looking back down at her phone.

"You know how bad my memory is, all I can remember is that it started with an O or something," Emmie shrugged before grabbing her back and jumping out of the car. "C'mon guys, the bell's about to go!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Turns out his name was Oliver Hughes, as they all found out during homeroom 20 minutes later. His slight muscular frame fidgeted awkwardly next to Ms. Crawford, the Year Director, as she introduced him to the homeroom.

"Listen up everyone, this is Oliver Hughes. He's a new student joining us this year from St Anthony's, our brother school in Melbourne," she had just said, motioning to the boy next to her who gave everyone a half-wave and an awkward smile. "Please do be nice and give him any help if he needs it. Show him how great a community our school is!" she added enthusiastically, which was met with a half-hearted "yes, miss."

Ms. Crawford frowned a little before turning to Oliver, giving him an encouraging smile and motioned for him to both move further into the classroom and introduce himself to the group.

Oliver complied, starting with a nervous laugh before saying, "Ahh, yeah, my name is Oliver, as Ms. Crawford said, though you can all call me Hughsey. That's what most people call me. I went to St Anthony's but I'm glad to be here, mainly since there are girls here. St Anthony's was a bit of a sausage fest," which earned a few small laughs from the room.

He looked around, not sure of what to do with himself, until the homeroom teacher pointed to a free chair a few spots away from Will and his friends, telling Oliver to sit down. Oliver looked around everyone else in the room, smiling awkwardly at all the girls shamelessly checking him out. 

This sadly included Cash, Kimi, and Emmie.

Will rolled his eyes, not entirely understanding the appeal. This, however, changed (only slightly) once Will's eyes darted towards Oliver and made eye contact with him. The two teens held each other's gaze for the slightest of moments before Will averted his eyes and coughed awkwardly.

What the hell was that?

~~~~~

2019 edit: All school names and such are fictitious by the way. I'm pretty sure there isn't a St Anthony's in Melbourne. And yes, this story is set in Australia.