Chapter 10 - A Crying Mess

A/N: Been a while so here's just something short - (Ryan is from Chapter 4 - Mystery Mix)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Why are you out here all alone?" Will heard someone ask behind him. The question had broken the hour long silence Will had been sitting in since Oliver had run off.

Will turned around to see the owner of the voice, groaning as he made eye contact with the boy standing several metres behind him. "What do you want, Ryan?" he sighed, turning back around. He wasn't really in the mood to deal with any of the crap that Ryan was about to pull.

"I'm not out here looking for you, Mr. Conceited," Ryan replied as he approached the bench.

"Then why are you up here?" Will asked, scowling as Ryan sat down on the bench. He shuffled away as Ryan moved closer. Ryan smirked at Will's discomfort once he'd moved right next to him.

Will's only response was to burst out in tears.

Will hated himself in that moment, breaking down like that in front of fucking Ryan Romero. Of all the people he could break down in front of, why did it have to be him?

Will's mind helplessly tried to stop the sobs and the ever-rolling stream of tears but it didn't seem like something he could control right now.

Ryan was panicking around him, freaked out by Will's sudden outburst. "Ah-I-wha-I-ah-what did I do?!" he stammered, arm tentatively wrapped around Will's shoulder in a (hopefully) comforting embrace.

"It's. Not. Your. Fault," Will croaked between deep sobs. Ryan frowned, curious as to why Will was like this.

"Do you wanna explain why you're a crying mess right now?" He asked softly, cringing at his poor taste in words. Luckily however, Will had calmed down and didn't take his wording the wrong way.

"The, uh, guy I like kissed me earlier but then he ran away right afterwards to go back to his girlfriend," Will mumbled in between sniffles.

"You kissed a guy with a girlfriend?" Ryan asked, eyebrow raised.

"Well, she isn't really his girlfriend but she might as well be with the way the two of them act," Will admitted, before adding, "and he kissed me first," childishly.

"You're talking about Oliver Hughes, right?" Ryan questioned, having just put it all together. Everyone had seen how awfully chummy Oliver and Will had become, and "Stolly" was a big hit between the gossipers at school.

Wow, they sure did have an awful 'ship' name, Ryan thought to himself.

Will nodded solemnly. "Well maybe he likes you back," Ryan countered. "It's always a possibility."

"As if," Will scoffed, resting his head on Ryan's shoulder as the other boy tightened his arm around Will's back. "If he liked me, why would he run away?" Will asked sadly, staring at the darkened sea. His sadness clouded his mind from realising how close he was to Ryan. Or the tequila was still running through his system.

As always, Ryan got straight to the point. "Uh, because he's always thought of himself as straight, so kissing a dude would've freaked him out," Ryan responded, leaving out the duh.

"How blunt of you," Will commented. Ryan just shrugged. "I guess you're right though," Will sighed.

The two sat in silence for a little while, staring at the ocean ahead of them and listening to the rustling wind blowing around them. Ryan's steady breathing calmed Will right down, his eyes getting droopy as fatigue began to set in.

When he let out a long yawn, Ryan decided to give him a quick slap.

"Ouch, what was that for?!" Will exclaimed, rubbing at his slightly sore cheek.

"Couldn't have you falling asleep on me," Ryan grinned, quickly standing up and turning to face the other boy. "Now c'mon, let's go back down to the party."

"No, I don't wanna go back down there. I don't wanna see him, or him see me," Will slouched in disagreement. Ryan took a hold of Will arm and tried to yank him up but to no avail.

"Fine, I can drive you home, how's that?" Ryan offered, with a hand outstretched in another offer to lift him up.

Will milled it over in his head. "How do I know you're not gonna try and make a move on me?" he asked, eyebrow raised to show his doubt of the other boy's innocence.

Ryan rolled his eyes. "After seeing you all snotty and weepy, you don't have to worry," he countered. "Now c'mon, let's go."

"Meanie," was Will's reply as he took the outstretched hand and pulled himself up. "I'm not happy with the girls right now, so I guess you're my only option."

The two walked back down the rocks and up the beach back towards the party. Along the way, Ryan had tightened his grip on Will's hand and Will didn't really want to let go either.

Ryan Romero is actually nice to be around?