Chapter 11 - The Car Ride Home

A/N: So this story is going in a different direction than I planned but I'm actually excited by the change. This'll be fun.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Oh my god, Will you've been gone for like three hours, where the fuck have you been?!" Liv yelled, racing down the beach once she saw Will approaching the party. She threw her arms around him in a tight hug. Will stood stoically, still not very impressed with the antics she and the other girls had pulled earlier to try and get him and Oliver alone.

"I was up on Commodore Point," he said flatly, unconsciously squeezing Ryan's hand that he still had a grip on.

Liv pulled back once she'd noticed the icy mood her best friend was in. "What's the matter? And why are you with Ryan?" she asked, eyeing the linked hands between the two boys. The other girls, having noticed Will's return, raced down to join them.

Will sighed, not really in the mood to deal with any of this. "Ryan's gonna take me home. I'm tired and not in the mood, ok?" he answered, beginning to walk away.

Liv wasn't having any of that, however. She reached out and gripped on his arm to pull him back. "No, you're gonna stay here and tell me what's wrong with you," she demanded, beginning to be irritated by Will's attitude.

"Things between Oliver and I didn't go well and I'm not very happy with any of you, to be perfectly honest. So let me go, give me some space for a day or two, and we can discuss it later so this doesn't all turn out into some huge fight, ok?" Will replied bluntly. He knew he should've spoken in a softer tone, but at that point, he was tired and just wanted to have some space to himself.

Liv bit her lip, the three girls behind her silent as they'd never seen Will act this way. Liv conceded, letting go of his arm. "Fine, but we will all definitely be speaking about this," she warned, motioning the other girls to follow her back to their spot.

Kimi lingered. "I guess I should let you know that Oliver came back and made a beeline for Stacey. I saw them being all cuddly and stuff earlier," she warned.

Will's face dropped as he heaved a deep sigh. He didn't really trust his voice at that point so he just nodded. "Thanks for letting us know," Ryan piped in for Will, giving his hand a squeeze. Emmie was confused by the sudden closeness of Will and Ryan but she nodded anyway, giving the two a sad smile before returning to the other girls. "You ready to go?" Ryan asked, his question met with just a sad nod.

The two walked up the rest of the beach, edging along the outskirts of the party. Will cursed his luck when Oliver unseeingly walked backwards into them while trying to catch a flying volleyball. Ryan huffed as Oliver's elbow connected with his sternum, knocking the breath out of him. Ryan fell on his butt as Oliver turned around after hearing Ryan's huff. Will squatted down to check on the winded boy who was rubbing his chest with his free hand.

"Oh man, I'm so sorry, I should've looked where I was going," Oliver rambled in apology before his eyes saw the other boy who was squatting next to the guy he just winded. "Oh, uh, Will," he said in surprise, waiting for some kind of acknowledgement but Will stayed focussed on Ryan, rubbing his thigh comfortingly (he wasn't sure what else to do, really).

Realising that the two guys sitting in the sand weren't going to give him any notice, he turned to leave, but not before hearing Ryan calling him an asshole. "What was that?" he challenged, turning back to the boy on the ground.

"Asshole. I called you an asshole. What are you gonna do about it, kiss me then run off?" Ryan countered provokingly. Oliver tensed, gritting his teeth at the other boy's goading.

"Stop it right now, Ryan," Will warned, standing up and pulling the other with him. "Let's go." Will sent Oliver a glare to tell him not the start anything either. Oliver looked on, completely confused as to what was even happening.