Two Surprise Judges

Alden and Grady?

Why were they here? "What..." Sophie asked.

Alina cleared her throat.

"Oh, sorry," Sophie apologized and dipped into a curtsy. "Why is... dad and Alden here?"

"Since Grady and I are emissaries, and we work together, we are part of the judge team." Alden said.

"Also," Grady added, "we are people you know."

"Now, please take a seat," Bronte said. "The test will begin...Now."

Alina didn't attempt to hide her laughter when Sophie nearly broke a bone trying to sit in the chair. Obviously she didn't care.

"Okay," Oralie began. "What makes you qualified to become an Emissary?"

"Well, first off, I have saved the elf population multiple times, saved the gnomes, I found an Alico-"

"Started and interspecial war, broke into Exile, stole a Councillors cache,-" Alina started.

"For your information," Oralie stated, "Kenric's GAVE the cache to her, she also healed Prentice - which wouldn't have happened if they didn't break into Exile - and the WAR that you are talking about was necessary to bring us together."

"Thanks," Sophie said.

"Back on track," Bronte said rubbing his temples. "My question is: being an Emissary is hard, do you think you'll be able to handle it?"

"Yes," Sophie said. "After all, I survived wars, plenty of near deaths, stopped rebellions, had enough injuries to last twenty ELF lifetimes, and scariest of all, I have faced Dimitiar in his ridiculous metal dippers."

"Ha," Alina spat. "My question is why are you so special?"

"I'm not, really. People see me that way because I'm different."

Alina pinched her perfect little nose as if she had just smelled something bad.

"Thank you, Ms. Foster." Bronte said glaring at Alina.

"You're dismissed," Alina said.

When Sophie didn't move Alina yelled, "Leave!"

"Actually," Fitz said coming to her defense. "Sophie is staying for dinner. Thank you, councillors."

"Thank you," Oralie said. "We will get back to you tomorrow. "Grady? Alden? Can we have your input?"

"Of course," Alden said shooing Sophie and Fitz out of the room. Before he closed the door, Alden said, "I'm sorry about Alina. Grady and I will do everything in our power to help you. We would love to have you work with us."

"Thanks, Alden," Sophie said hugging him.

"Anytime."

Alden closed the door leaving Sophie and Fitz alone.