Chapter. 2 (The Letter Diagon Alley)

It was about a week before I was allowed out of my small, dingy cupboard, and I practically died of boredom.

Then again, I tend to over exaggerate things.

-

I was making breakfast, when Uncle Vernon asked, "Daphne, could you get the mail?" He didn't look up, as his face was buried in a local newspaper.

"Make Ivy get it!" She sneered haughtily in reply.

Eventually, I got out of my seat to go fetch the mail, but only after Daphne had poked me repeatedly with her fork. And boy, did those tongs hurt.

I shuffled through the couple of letters but stopped when I saw my name on the front of a pristine white envelope.

I studied the front for a moment, but then flipped to the back where I was met with a red wax seal. It said: Hogwarts.

I was so confused! Never in my entire lifetime had I got a single piece of mail! Why now? Why, at eleven years of age would these 'Hogwarts' people send me a letter now?

However I got tired of waiting, so I hid the letter behind my back and gave the rest of the bills and taxes to my Aunt. I quickly dashed out of the kitchen and tiptoed into my cupboard.

My fingers ripped open the envelope excitedly and I whispered it to myself, "Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Dear Miss Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. Please find an enclosed list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins September 1st. We expect your owl no later than July 31st.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva Mcgonagall

Deputy headmistress

UNIFORM

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protected gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black with silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (grade 1)

By Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic

By Bagthilda Bagshot

Magical Theory

By Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration

By Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi

By Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions

By Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

By Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: a Guide to Self-Protection

By Quentin Tremble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)