:: Chapter Thirty Six ::

Malice was on edge as they docked at the island in search of supplies. Since they’d gotten within range, she’d used her haki time and time again to scour the island searching for a threat. She wasn’t able to detect anything. Desperately she cast out her senses again, something was wrong. They had to be here, laying in wait to spring some sort of trap.

                Her grip tightened around the bone blade she’d kept concealed beneath the simple black cloak she wore to protect herself from the light misting of rain. It was a much less dreary island than the one they’d visited before. The plant life was lush and green and lined the well kept paths neatly. There were villages off in the distance on the hillsides, cute little homes built right into the sides of the rolling slopes.

                Kid looked over at the stoic girl as she nearly stumbled on a rock in the path too lost in her search for enemies. “Oy!” He lashed out and caught her by the collar before she could tumble to the soggy path. “Watch where you’re going!” He barked.

                Malice broke from his hold in silence only succeeding in further irritating the already irate captain of the Kid Pirates. He took a step forward and reached for her arm with every intention of shaking her until she told him what had her so vexed.

                In the next moment Malice sensed an overwhelming presence. It made her stomach drop and caused all the color to drain from her skin. She spun on her heel as she sensed an attack speeding their way and caught Kid by the collar with the back of her forearm. Forcing him to the ground, she managed to avoid the spinning bladed disk that whizzed right through where the captain had been standing.

                Splinters of wood shot out like shrapnel from the tree that had been directly behind them, as the bladed disk pierced right through the trunk of the tree. The Kid Pirates jumped into action causing Malice’s heart to sink. They were no match for the enemy lying in wait in the surrounding forest.

                “What the hell?” Kid growled in annoyance.

                “We need to run.” Malice snapped.

                “Like hell.” Kid got to his feet with a cocky smirk, “They clearly want to figh-.”

                “Kid, this isn’t a fight any of us are going to walk away from.” Malice shot.

                The masked first mate looked to the cryptic girl curiously. Was this what she’d been so terrified of? Her dark hellfire garnet eyes were wide in pure mortification. Killer looked between the pair waiting for a command from his captain.

                “I’m not running away with my tail betw-.”

                He cut off as Malice vanished from view. His gaze was drawn to the left of their path where two arcs of crimson spray appeared in the air before splashing to the ground. Malice appeared a few feet away from the spot the blood had landed gripping the crude bone blade in her hand. A small cut oozed blood on her porcelain cheek making her gaunt features more pronounced.

                Her stomach churned as she sensed an overpowering aura just beyond the next set of hills. It was on par with that of her father’s, a yonko…Kaido. He was a true monster. A monster she had never wanted to run into after dealing with his subordinate.

                “Kid.” Her voice came out pleading.

                Kid clenched his fists at his sides. His feral eyes burned with determination and rage, “I’ll protect you.”