:: Chapter Twenty Seven ::

Endless torment, that’s what he’d condemned her to, because of his ignorance she grew up alone and unwanted. Because of him her mind was poisoned with darkness, rage and malice. The name seemed, sadly enough, fitting. She was malicious, dark and positively evil, but deep down, deep beneath her cold hard exterior he’d seen a semblance of innocence clouded in misery and loneliness. There was good in her, somewhere.

                The captain of the Red Hair Pirates paced on the main deck occasionally casting glances down to the deck of the Kid Pirates where the younger red haired captain was lounging with a bottle of liquor. Malice was still in hiding. He couldn’t disown or forsake the girl for what she had become because it was his fault she turned out this way. Had he only known of her existence sooner, had he only been able to find her sooner, it all could have been avoided. It was long past the time the others had fallen asleep and it seemed only the two red haired captains were awake.

                A splash of ebony hair appeared through the trap door leading below deck on the enemy ship catching the Captain’s eye. Her pale skin seemed to glow in the dim reflected light from the luminescent coral reefs. His gaze lingered to the various scars across her skin, the stitch marks on her eyelids, deep purple almost black colored slashes lining her arms at random and the angry red scar across the back of her hand. He could only imagine the amount of scars kept hidden beneath her clothing.

                “Done sulking?” The captain of the enemy crew scoffed at the girl causing Shanks to glare in his direction. They were a dangerous crew for her to be with. None of them would help her moral character.

                Malice smiled softly and vanished from sight. Shanks jumped, he hadn’t even seen her move. She reappeared leaning against the hull of the ship with the liquor bottle in hand and stuck her tongue out at the young red haired captain teasingly, “Moving on from sulking to throwing myself a pity party.”

                Kid chuckled, “What’s a party without booze?”

                “Exactly.” Malice smirked and took a long swig of the strong liquid. She cringed at the slight burn as the alcohol poured down her throat.

                The captain of the Kid Pirates bit his lip; he wanted to say something to the girl. Shanks watched in awe as the younger captain’s demeanor seemed to change thinking he and the girl were the only ones awake. “Why do you care so much about how he sees you?”

                Her dark garnet eyes swept in his direction swiftly causing the young captain’s heart to skip a beat. “You’ll think it’s silly or trivial.” She muttered somewhat vulnerably.

                “Probably.” Kid smirked, “But it’s bothering you.” His voice softened, “I don’t like seeing you distressed.”

                Malice stared at him in awe, “Captain are you feeling alright?”

                Kid shot her a soft glare, “Shut up, I worry about you.”

                “That doesn’t seem like you.” Malice teased as she took another long swig from the liquor bottle.

                “You’re a part of my crew.” Kid shrugged, but deep down they both knew it was so much more than that. They depended on each other in different ways. He was the unwavering support and acceptance she’d always desired and she had become the very reason for his existence. They made each other strive to be better, strive to be stronger, strive to be more.

                “Ye aint foolin’ anyone, Cap’n.” Titan piped up as he poked his head out from the galley and grinned at the startled couple.

                “Titan!” Malice and Kid snapped simultaneously.

                “He does make a point.” Spike chuckled appearing in the crow’s nest.

                “Were you eavesdropping?” Malice glared between the pair.

                “Not in the least.” Heat and Wire piped up as they poked their heads out from the trapdoor Malice had come up from earlier.

                “You’re all dead.” Malice glared feeling embarrassed that the others had witnessed her vulnerability.

                “Don’t be cross with them, Malice.” Killer stepped out from around the upper cabin, “Everyone was worried about you.” Though the first mate’s face was concealed behind a mask, Malice could detect the smile in his voice.

                “Don’t ye worry love, we always got yer back.” Titan beamed, “Those blokes may have just barely squeaked by with a victory the last time, but we’ll show them.”

                Everyone stared at Titan as if he’d just sprouted a second head.

                “Barely?” Spike chuckled.

                “They mopped the floor with us.” Wire noted.

                “Yeah, well we were just caught off guard. This time we fight for Malice, we can’t lose.” Titan scoffed, “YE HEAR THAT YE SCUM! SHE’S WIF US!” He bellowed at the enemy ship.

                Shanks smiled softly as he watched Malice’s face light up. Maybe they weren’t so bad for her. They all cared about her, even the arrogant captain in his own twisted way.