:: Chapter Fifteen ::

As the auction was dwindling down to a close, the front entrance doors burst open followed by the sounds of labored breathing and clinking of chains. Malice turned to the commotion and felt her blood begin to boil as she spotted a useless lard of a World Noble sitting atop a human man’s back with a humiliating saddle. Kid reached out and gripped her wrist in his hand to keep her from launching herself at the worthless scum as he began kicking the weary man.

“Don’t draw any attention to yourself.” He hissed in her ear as she clenched her fists angrily at her sides as she watched the brute’s horrible display of power.

The nobleman was quickly shown to his seat and Kid kept a tight hold on the seething girl to keep her from slaughtering anyone. Curiously the nobleman turned his head in their direction and before he could take notice, Kid shoved Malice roughly behind his back concealing her behind his fur cloak. Heat clapped a hand over her mouth as she opened it to protest and they watched the nobleman make his way to his seat.

“For item number fifteen we have a real treat ladies and gentleman, a real pirate captain!” Disco cheered adamantly as two handlers struggled to get a terrified looking gruff man with a mess of dark hair wearing a hat with his crew’s jolly roger on the front to center stage. Malice shoved her way out of hiding and threw her crewmates a quick glare before returning her attention to the stage.

Malice smirked as she watched the man stumble, “Clever bloke.”

“What do you mean?” Kid pondered.

“He bit his tongue.” Malice pointed as the man suddenly blanched and stumbled to his knees. Blood splattered the floor causing a few of the patrons up front to panic. Memories of how she’d killed her handler on stage and made the patrons scream filtered through her mind. She killed him in front of Rayleigh and her father, what had they thought of her at the time?

Disco quickly covered with a cheap story about the pirate being nervous and getting a nosebleed to ease the crowd before having the handlers bring out a covered tank. “And now ladies and gentlemen our biggest catch of the day…”

Despicable, they were all despicable, everyone here sitting on the edges of their seats to see what the big draw of the day was. Bidding on humans like they were mere property, it was revolting and Malice had had enough. The cover was drawn and a terrified mermaid with a pink tail and choppy greenish blond hair stared at the crowd with wide saucer eyes. Malice wondered if she’d worn a similar expression when she was suddenly faced with the massive crowd of disgusting individuals. She remembered glaring at them but the initial shock she couldn’t remember how she’d reacted.

“Now let’s start the biddi-.”

“FIVE HUNDRED MILLION!” The fat blob of a noble who’d arrived late cried.

“Scum.” Malice muttered under her breath.

A strong hand clapped down on her shoulder and she felt a gentle reassuring squeeze as Kid steered her toward the door. “It’s like a symbol of how messed up the world is.” He mumbled dryly, “I’ve seen enough of this farce.” His hand gave her shoulder another squeeze and she realized he was leaving for her benefit because he knew that she was upset.

Malice allowed him to lead her to the door. Just as they rounded the corner, Kid suddenly pulled her against him as the front doors practically exploded. A flying fish with three riders soared past them at an alarming speed before crashing into one of the back sections of patrons. How had she not sensed it? Her nerves were a mess because of this hellhole. It was affecting her perception.

“Oy! Why didn’t you land that better?” A boyish voice complained from amidst the cloud of dust from the collision.

Kid smirked as he recognized the young man sporting a blue vest and a pair of black shorts. Malice’s gaze lingered to the straw hat atop the young man’s head and her eyes widened for the briefest of moments. So it was the same hat, the same one she’d seen in one of her father’s older wanted posters. What connection did Mugiwara no Luffy have with her father?