:: Chapter Forty Three ::

Drifting in and out of consciousness, it was becoming harder to tell which bouts of consciousness were reality and which were delirious dreams her brain was trying to use to ease her into eternal slumber. There were so many voices around her, never too loud, nothing more than whispers and hushed tones. Occasionally there was crippling pain when someone would touch her, but it never lasted long.

                At some point it seemed as if someone had tried to bathe her, though it felt like they were doing so in a tub of acid. It felt as if it lasted an eternity and she wasn’t entirely sure if she had imagined herself screaming or if it had really happened. Someone had lightly tied a cloth eye patch over her scorched right eye. She knew it was probably for the benefit of those who had to look at her and didn’t complain too much, even though it felt as if it were molded into her skin.

                Sunlight gently kissed her skin, it felt as if the rays were setting her skin ablaze, but she didn’t smell burning flesh so she endured. They must have assumed she’d want a last look at the sun before she slipped away. The delicate breeze felt as if it were peeling her skin away with each brush across her skin. Every sensation was unbearable anguish.

                Why did her father continue to let her suffer?

                A shadow passed over her, providing her with a brief moment of relief as the sun was blocked. The voices were back. She wasn’t sure which stream of consciousness she was experiencing and it was too much of an effort to try and open her good eye.

                “Malice?” It was her father.

                She struggled to move one of her fingers in an effort to let him know she had heard his voice.

                “Some people are here to see you.” He cooed softly.

                Why would anyone want to see her? She was nothing but a scarred and charred mass. The very sight of her had to be sickening enough to turn stomachs. It was agony, but nonetheless she tried to turn away only succeeding in turning her head a fraction of an inch.

                “MALICE!” A familiar cockney voice bellowed nearby and she heard the sound of a scuffle as if someone had attempted to hug her and was immediately wrestled away.

                “Titan! You moron!” A chorus of voices snarled.

                Her heart skipped a beat. Was he here? She attempted to form coherent speech. It was torture trying to get her lips to move.

                “She’s trying to say something.” Killer’s voice said softly sounding as if he were kneeling next to her.

                “K-Kid?”

                A moment of agonizing silence passed by and she feared he wasn’t there.

                “I’m here.” He sounded so close.

                Her single good eye snapped open. A muffled cry escaped her as she spotted him kneeling at her side with tears in his eyes. The left side of his face was scarred, stretching down his neck to the mechanical arm now in place of his left arm. Tears that felt like acid leaked from her good eye.

                “You…were…injured.” She wheezed.

                “BAKA!” Kid snapped before biting his lip as his tears flowed freely, “You’re injured.” He was crumbling. Losing her was killing him.

Seeing the pain in his tear filled eyes was worse than any torture. “I’m…s-sorry.”

“Then don’t go!” Kid yelled.

“Kid!” Killer barked. He could see the strain this was putting on her already weak body. Blood had begun to dribble from the corners of her mouth. Her skin had turned lifelessly pale, the veins beneath a much darker blue as if her circulatory system had finally begun to shut down.

“I don’t care if it’s selfish. I know it will hurt, every single day, but please, don’t go.” He begged her.

Malice choked on a sob. She thought she had been prepared to die. Before, it seemed like a peaceful escape, but how could she leave him?

Killer wanted to throttle his captain for his selfish request. “She’s dy-.” He cut off as Malice struggled to raise a hand to Kid’s cheek. He got to his feet and shooed everyone else away.

She winced the moment she made contact, “It. wouldn’t…be as…much…fun..without you.” A coughing fit claimed her and more blood seeped from the corners of her mouth, “W-who would I torment?”Malice struggled to offer the captain a smile.

A single tear fell onto her cheek as Kid leaned over her. He tenderly caressed her cheek, “I love you.”

Though she knew the touch she craved would be agony, she didn’t care. She needed it. Kid lightly brushed her lips with his own afraid to do anything more for fear she’d shatter. Her frail bloody hand slipped to the back of his head and with absolutely no remaining strength struggled to pull him closer to deepen the kiss. It was an odd mix of unbearable pain and bliss, but she couldn’t stop.

Kid pressed his lips to hers once more, kissing her with fire. She whimpered in pain, but refused to let him go.

“I..don’t..want.. to die.” Malice cried once they broke apart.

“Stay with me forever.” Kid kissed her once more.

Another soft whimper escaped her and Kid pulled away.

Shanks had told him about her request, but maybe by some miracle she really did want to live. “Will you let them heal you?” He begged.

Malice feebly nodded her head. Kid gripped her hand just as she felt a familiar burst of haki overtake her.