:: Chapter Three ::

Malice woke with a start as thunder boomed in the distance. When had she lost consciousness? Her body didn’t feel heavy now that it was free of the caked on gore, but when had she bathed? Fresh clean bandages adorned the hand she mutilated in her attempt at escape. Light washed over her from a small porthole style window above the cot she was currently occupying and she began to panic as she felt the sunlight’s gentle kiss on the back of her scarred eyelids. Someone had removed her bandages.

                She resisted the urge to open her eyes knowing full well Hobbs had them sewn shut. The grimy blood and gore stained shirt and trousers whose original color she couldn’t remember had been removed from her body and replaced with a long sleeved cotton nightshirt that hung loosely off her delicate frame.

                Shakily she forced herself into a sitting position and felt somewhat vulnerable as the warm soft sheets fell away from her body. It had been so long since she’d slept comfortably or even been this warm. Many nights had passed by with her glued to the grubby floor of the brig. She’d almost forgotten what it felt like to be enveloped in a blanketed embrace.

                Though she was still disoriented and her mind fuzzy she forced herself out of the inviting cot and resisted the urge to shiver as her bare feet touched the cool wooden floor. Cautiously she shuffled forward feeling the surprisingly clean floor with her feet as she made her way to where she hoped the door was. Her foot hit something solid yet hollow sounding and she paused and explored the object with her hands. It felt like an ordinary wooden crate. Perhaps the door was on the opposite side of the room.

                Something creaked behind her and even though her eyes were still shut she winced at the sudden blinding light that spilled into the room. She spun around quickly to face the newcomer. The back of her heel collided painfully against the edge of the crate managing to knock her off balance. Malice tumbled backward into the empty crate with a soft gasp of surprise.

                Deep booming laughter roared from where the source of the light had come from and Malice immediately felt enraged. “I thought you might be amusing.” The familiar voice of Captain Kid chuckled from the doorway.

                “Shut up.” Malice hissed as she desperately struggled to get out of the crate, “Why the hell is there an empty crate here in the first place?!” She snarled as she realized she was stuck, “That’s just asking for trouble!”

                Heavy footsteps clunked against the wood floor as the young captain reluctantly went to the irate girl’s aid. Strong hands gently gripped her wrists and she felt herself slide free from the crate as Kid easily lifted her. “Are you really blind?” He asked her curiously as he waved his hands in front of her face, “I thought perhaps that was just some form of torture they’d inflicted on you.” His forefinger delicately brushed the back of her eyelid where the seams had been.

                Malice jumped away from him with a hiss and mentally cursed as she felt herself hit the crate once again and braced herself for the impact. Strong arms encircled her, saving her from getting stuck a second time. A soft gasp escaped her lips as she was suddenly pressed up against a lean muscular torso. Warmth from Kid’s body heat spread through the long night shirt reminding her of all the times she’d spied on ‘normal’ families and envied the other children when their parents would embrace them. Often she’d find herself wondering what it would feel like to be hugged. Her body leaned into the warm embrace. It felt as if a great weight had been lifted off her shoulders, it was a euphoric sense of release and she found herself wanting to stay wrapped in the tender embrace.

                Kid released the fragile girl from his hold once he was sure there was enough distance between her and the crate. “You seemed much more graceful a few days ago.” He chuckled.