The Final Fallout

Kent's POV

Danni had been in the hospital for about two weeks now, in and out of consciousness. I felt bad returning to school without her. Not that it would matter to her...we broke up.

The pit of guilt in my stomach caused me to shiver, despite the outside hot weather of May. We should've broken up the moment Mac and I kissed.

Crap. I forgot to mention that.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Danni. Really, I did. But there were times when it was clear she wasn't one hundred percent in love with me. She would be spacey and distant when we were together and not all there when we kissed. It just...wasn't natural for us anymore. So, when Mac and I were assigned a project together, things got a little weird.

She would say something about Danni that she had a problem with, I would reply with a story about a fight we were in, she was upset about her breakup, then we would be kissing. Don't ask me why, but all that anger we had bottled up just came out. It got to the point where we couldn't even focus on the project anymore.

Don't judge me. I was going to tell Danni eventually. Maybe that's why I was so paranoid and controlling around her; I was afraid she would do the same thing to me. But, after we broke up, I figured it didn't matter anymore. No sense in making her upset over something like that. I loved her. God, I still loved her....but I couldn't pretend anymore. I was just glad there was potential to maybe....one day.....love Mac.

As if on cue, Mac came up behind me and wrapped her arms around my neck in a big hug. "Hey you," she smiled.

"Hey."

She walked in front of me, her blue and white cheer uniform catching the sunlight. "What's wrong?"

I had to straighten this out. "What exactly is this, Mac?"

"What do you mean?" she cocked her head to one side. Her green eyes were so beautiful in the sun as they looked up at me.

"Are we together...or is this just a boredom thing to you?"

She stopped and looked at the ground for a minute, contemplating her answer. "I'd like us to be together...I really like being with you. And now that you and her are broken up..."

"Yeah, I wanna be with you too..." I sighed. "You two still aren't friends anymore? Even after Amber left you in the dirt a month ago?" I asked her, taking her hand.

"I wanna be....but I'm afraid Danni still hates me. It's so weird how we can be roommates and still feel like we're miles apart."

"Just talk to her. We can go see her in the hospital this weekend okay?"

She came in for a hug, laying her head against my chest. "What if she's mad at us for going behind her back?"

A small smile crossed my lips. "Something tells me she's too happy with someone else to care."

Daniella's POV

I felt my eyes flutter open as the harsh white light of the hospital room came flooding in. It made me think of what Heaven would look like, even before I saw the angel sitting across the bed. Jason.

"Mornin', Sleepin' Beauty," he whispered sweetly.

"Hey," I grinned. It was the best thing I could ask for: to have him here when I woke up.

His eyes turned concerned and sad as he scooted closer to brush my hair out of my face. "You really scared me for a second."

"I shouldn't have worried about what Andrew said. I should've known you would date other people..."