The Country Boy and The City Girl

Daniella's POV (still)

"So, Danni," an overly peppy voice shouted over the music as they tapped my shoulder. I turned around to a snake in a sundress.

"Amber," I greeted her through a fake half smile. "What can I do for you?"

"Oh, nothin'. I just wanted to tell you how sweet this little shin dig you put together is," she cooed. I remembered that familiar sticky sweet yet suffocating feeling of hearing her southern voice when she spoke. Like swallowing a whole jug of molasses... I folded my arms and stared her down.

"What do you really want, Amber?

She dropped the act and got up in my face. "Jason will never be yours," she sneered. "He and I have too long of a history to be apart for too long. Hate to break it to you San Diego...but you are just a summer fling to him. I've seen it before."

"It's so sweet how you're in denial," I chuckled menacingly. Her well manicured eyebrows shot skyward as she scoffed.

"How'd he ask you to Prom? Did he take you to all your 'special places'? Did he sing you a sweet little country song on his guitar? Oh...I bet he even took you to the lake on his Mammaw's old farm..." The look on my face must have given me away because her knowing smirk regained its place upon her lips. "It's so sweet how you're in denial, Danni." I couldn't breathe. As she walked away with a triumphant bounce in her step, everything I thought I knew went into question.

Was Amber just playing me or were all of Jason's acts recycled from old girlfriends?

Did he really see me as just a short term fling? Replaceable? Disposable?

How could she have known what he did for me if she hadn't experienced it herself?

I needed a drink. I made my way over to the kitchen and poured some beer into a cup before downing it in a single chug. This was stressful beyond stressful. And there goes my promise to not drink tonight.... Brilliant.

"They're here!" someone shouted. "Everyone hide and turn off the music!"

I sighed with relief. I needed to talk to Jason. I smoothed my hair and made my way to the door to let the birthday boy and his friend join the party...

Jason's POV

"Why are we back at Daniella's house?" I asked as I shut the car door behind me. Mark jogged over and helped me up the front steps.

"We need to grab some pain killers for ya, don't we?" It seemed obvious when he said it and I felt stupid for asking. Duh. Mark rang the doorbell and smiled. It wasn't until Daniella opened the door that I realized why.

She stood there looking like something out of a magazine with her long blonde hair in big Texas curls, framing her face. The blue in her eyes looked electric next to her dark thick lashes and supple red lips. As if that weren't enough, I felt my eyes roll down her body, taking in her tight red dress, black chunky necklace and belt, and her perfect black and silver cowgirl boots. Hot was inferior to the words needed to describe how great she looked. Mark reached over and lifted my jaw to close again. I hadn't even realized it was hanging open.

"Happy Birthday," she smiled weakly. With that, the entire house came alive as people jumped out from behind things and shouted with excitement.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JASON!!!" they all cheered. Loud blaring music came in and people resumed their dancing and mingling as I stepped through the door.

"You did all this?" I asked, amazed. "All that history paper stuff," I thought aloud as I turned to Mark. "That was bull crap, wasn't it..." He shrugged with a guilty smile on his face and ran off into the crowd.