The Country Boy and The City Girl

Daniella's POV

Even though we had our detention time extended, I didn't really mind. Of course, it would have been better if Ms. Charmichael wasn't staring us down like a hawk. I would not have objected to some more alone time...

But when Jason explained to me that he was trying to make me jealous with Amber, I couldn't help but blush a bit. Sure, the idea of Amber's hands on him made my blood boil but he insisted that it had been over between them for awhile now. The fact that he struggled with what to do about me made me feel better about me struggling with what to do about him. I wanted to tell him that I couldn't shake the feeling of him since that night at the party, but I figured it'd sound too desperate. It didn't matter anyway now that I had kissed him. He knew I liked him back. So why say more?

"So...I hear Jason Barkley is going to ask you to Prom," he winked. "But he's doing it in a surprise way so don't let any guys approach you and ask before him." His dark gray tee was still drying from the water and clinging to his core. I forced myself to look away and answer him.

"Oh really?" I smiled. "I might just say yes to him."

His eyebrows shot skyward. "Might?" he laughed. "Don't make me get the soap..." he grinned.

"Shhh!" Ms. Charmichael shushed. I really didn't like that woman. I wished she'd just leave the room and never come back.

"The warden has spoken," he whispered, trying not to smile. I giggled and went to go wash out my wash cloth again but before I could, Ms. Charmichael shuffled to the door and swung it open.

"Get out. Detention's over early. I can't stand any more of this or my blood pressure will shoot to high heavens," she growled. Jason and I didn't hesitate to grab our stuff and head out. I'd be lying if I told you the feeling of him taking my hand on the way out didn't make me smile...

"So... Don't tell anyone I kissed you.." he requested as we stood my his truck. He looked at the ground, twiddling his fingers. My heart sank and crashed at my feet with a thud.

"Excuse me?" Had I really fallen for that kind of guy? Was he that kind of guy?! I could have sworn he was different...I really hoped this was a joke. Too many guys in San Diego had been like this: make you feel special then want to keep it a secret out of guy pride. The jerks of the jerks type.

His serious face fell into a mischievous smirk as he laughed at my shocked expression. "You really don't know when I'm kidding do you?" I felt myself be able to breathe again.

"Not funny!" I laughed as I punched his arm. I was really glad he was kidding though...

"Do you need a ride?" he asked. "I wouldn't mind to take you, neighbor." He reached up and rubbed the back of his neck, smiling. If only I could quit staring at his muscles! His charming smile was distracting enough!

"I-I uh- My car- I drove here too." I crinkled up my nose and closed my eyes as I exhaled deeply. I was a babbling idiot. Again!

He chuckled and wrapped his arms around my waist. "You really are cute when you're blushing." That probably only made me blush more. I felt my cheeks grow hotter. Yep, I was right. He didn't seem to mind though.

"Can I drive you to church tomorrow?" he asked. "It's the least I could do, getting you in detention and all." I smiled back at him and nodded. "That's settled then." He brought his forehead down to mine and kissed me once more before hopping into his truck. Smiling and feeling light headed, I made my way happily back to my car.

Jason's POV

I can't explain it. This girl came out of nowhere and blindsided me. Her little quirks that she had made me go crazy and would not let me stop grinning. When I kissed her... It wasn't like kissing Amber or any girl I dated before. I felt one hundred percent electric. That cloud nine stuff that I always thought was a load of bull couldn't even touch this feeling I was having. This was better.

And when she told me her and Kent weren't engaged and had broken up? Oh, that just made it even better. I wanted to sweep her up and carry her away right then and there... But I didn't! Cause that'd be weird. I wouldn't want to freak her out...Wow, I'm lame. I decided to turn on my stereo to distract myself before I got all mushy and cranked up some Jason Aldean. That guy knows his stuff...

"Come one baby let's go listen to the niiiight trainnn," I sang to myself. It was only moments like this in my car alone that I could let loose and sing. I didn't wanna sing in public then find out I was bad...

It was also moments like this where my brain decides to betray me and make me think of stressful things. Things like...I dunno...maybe...prom!? Ugh. I wanted the way I asked Daniella to be good and clever. The only problem with that? I'm hopeless with clever things like that!

Wait... Prom. Jason Aldean. Night Train. The train tracks by the dance club where we first met. Candlelight? Some music?

No. Idiot. Not personal enough. Try again. Daggum.

I could write "Prom?" in the dirt on my truck?

Yeah, Casanova. Real romantic. No! Try another one...geez.

It was like my mom was shaking her head at me from up in Heaven. Mom would've known what to do...

The lake where you fell asleep on Missy's back on Mammaw's old farm...

Why didn't I think of that before?! We still owned it! It's the perfect setting, has a personal feel, and a perfect view. Yes! This was gonna be one heck of a prom invitation...