The Country Boy and The City Girl

Jason's POV

Friday was my birthday...Dang. It really snuck up on me. Where does the time even go? Today, tomorrow, then boom. Birthday. I shook my head and took off my shirt, getting ready to jump into the shower.

Daniella had told me she already had my gift and a surprise, but I honestly had no clue what she was gonna do. Having her was more than enough as far as blessings go, but I'd be lyin' if I told you I wasn't a little excited to see what she had planned. I was eighteen soon. Wow...where does the time go? I stood under the hot steamy water and felt my muscles relax.

As I washed my hair, I thought about what life would be like if my parents were still here again. Would Mom bake me a birthday cake and joke that it was made of love? Would she be Daniella's best friend and embarrass me in front of her with dumb baby pictures? Would my dad be proud of the man I've become? Would he slap me on the back and give a hearty laugh telling me "You did well, son."? My heart ached thinking about everything I wish I could do to get them back... Then I thought about how badly my uncle wanted to be with them again...After I got out and toweled off, I threw on some clothes and did everything else before going out to start the truck. Only one problem.

The truck wouldn't start.

"Crap," I spat out as I kicked the door shut. I didn't have time to try and check under the hood. I had to pick up Daniella and get to school! As if answering my prayers, two tan arms wrapped around me from behind. Daniella...

"Hey you," she smiled sweetly. Just like that, all my anger evaporated within an instant.

"Hey," I answered before kissing her on the cheek. "The truck kicked the can." I frowned.

She mirrored my frown for a moment before returning to facing me. "I'm sorry, Jason...Well, we have my car."

My heartbeat sped up like an engine purring inside my chest. "Your Porsche?" I raised an eager eyebrow.

"Yeah," she tossed me the keys. "You drive." She knew what I wanted before I could even ask. I let out a loud hoot and picked her up, spinning her around.

"Thank you," I kissed her over and over again. "Let's go!"

Daniella's POV

"Lookin' good, San Diego," Owen purred as I came into French and sat down. "You'd look better sitting in my lap in my truck, but you're still playin' games..."

I rolled my eyes for what seemed the billionth time in this class. Owen got more and more suggestive every day. Ugh. I wanted to see him with a giant red hand print on his smug stupid little face....

"Heard about your party. You know I'll be there. What do you say we slip away from Jason for a minute or two? I hear I'm the man to come to for seven minutes in heaven," he grinned.

Ignore him. Ignore him. Ignore him. Ignore him. Ignore him...

"I'm sure you got your new outfit all picked out. Tight short skirt, low cut top, heels so high your legs go on for days..." He made it sound so slutty! I hated him. Ugh...And it was a cocktail dress!...It wasn't even that low cut or short...only a little... "Jason won't have to know. I'm sure you did the same kinda thing with all those San Diego guys. Hot, sweaty-"

"Will you shut the-"

"Mister Owen!" Mrs. Marla screeched. The whole class was shocked to hear her yell at such a high tone or even at all really.

"Yes, ma'am?" he gulped.

She put down her pen and stood up from her desk, slowly making her way over to the back of the class. When she got to me she looked up at Owen and bent down in right in his face, watching as his eyes got wide with fear. "I may not see very well...but I make up for it in hearing, I assure you."