The Country Boy and The City Girl

Jason's POV

After school, Daniella asked me to drive her car home while she went with Mac to her house. I liked Mac for a friend. She seemed pretty cool...But I did worry if she'd be another Amber...

When I pulled into Daniella's driveway, I stopped and stared at her giant house. From my house it looked average size, but being so up close? I never really thought about how much money must have gone into it... But my train of thought was interrupted by the sound of the car door bein' flung open.

"Danni-Wait. Who are you?" a little curly haired blonde squealed. "Why are you in my sister's car?"

"I, uh- I"

"MOOMMMMMYYYYYY!" she screamed. Panic set in and I struggle to shush her, arms flailing and wriggling around.

"No! No! It's okay! Danni-"

"MOMMYYYYYY!!!!!" She began to cry and slammed the door on my leg, making it crackle in ways it should never crack. I roared in pain, only scaring the small child more. It wasn't until Mrs. Somerton came out and calmed her down that the crying stopped.

"Oh my goodness! Jason! Are you alright?! Your leg..."

The little girl's lip began to quiver as she sniffled out the tears. "Jason? Danni's boyfriend?"

"I didn't mean to scare you. I'm so sorry," I grimaced as I held my leg. I bit down on my bottom lip and struggled not to cry out in pain again. Mrs. Somerton clearly saw my dilemma.

"Let's get you inside. Can you stand?" I nodded at her and crawled out of the car, grunting when I stood up. It took a miracle from God to keep me from cursing in front of Daniella's little sister. Well, her mom too...

"I was a doctor at a hospital in San Diego. I can help fix you up and see if it's broken," she assured me. I tried my best to smile gratefully, but I'm pretty sure it just looked like I was constipated.

She helped me inside with one arm under mine. She was surprisingly strong for a woman of her size and had no trouble lifting me up every now and then to avoid putting weight on my leg. I finally sighed in relief when she laid me down on the couch.

"She's not answering her phone," Mrs. Somerton said exasperatedly. I cocked my head to the side and looked at her.

"Who? Danni? She's at her friend Mac's house. We took her car to school this morning and she asked me to drive it home for her so I wouldn't have to walk."

"Here's an ice bag, Jason," the little girl bit her lip and frowned. "I'm sorry I hurt your leg..."

I took the ice bag and shook my head. "I would have done the same thing," I replied kindly. "A strange man in my big sister's car?! Oh em gee! AHHH!" She giggled at my silly face and in that moment, I saw a bit of Danni in her eyes. She was a very sweet little girl...with a very hard push on car doors.

"Okay, I'm back. Alyanna, give Jason some space. I'm sure he's in too much pain to have a little kid in his face." She pushed on my leg slightly with her hands. "Does this hurt?" She looked up and saw the agonized expression I must have been wearing. Give me a break! That seriously hurt!

"Definitely," I choked out. Alyanna came up next to me and held out a stuffed horse.

"You can squeeze Mister Peaches so it doesn't hurt as much...I did it when I scraped my knees and I felt better." Her mom began to tell her to quit bothering me, but I stopped her and gently took Mister Peaches in my hands.

"Thank you, Aly," I smiled. "I appreciate you and Mister Peaches' sacrifice." She grinned and showed off her missing front teeth, swaying back in forth in her frilly dress.