The Country Boy and The City Girl

Jason's POV

I went to go find some cereal or pancake mix to make breakfast with, but struggled with balancing the cabinet opening and crutch leaning issue. Let's just say I used some choice words trying to knock down some Lucky Charms. Magically freakin' delicious my butt. It wasn't worth it.

Daniella finally came in, still managing to take my breath away with no makeup and bed head. She grinned and handed me a big box with my name on it. "Happy Birthday," she sang sweetly. I nearly forgot too.

"What is it?" I asked, shaking it. It felt strangely heavy and made bustling noises. She bit her lip with excitement and shook her head. "Open it!" I sighed exasperatedly and did as I was told.

After ripping off the wrapping paper and lid, I found a pair of nice looking brown cowboy boots with beige patterns on the sides. It wasn't until I looked closer that a piece of paper was buried under them. I picked it out and unfolded it, reading it aloud.

"Thank you. I love the boots but...'Nine o'clock'? What's at nine?" I asked her curiously. She frowned and rolled her eyes down to my feet.

"You can only wear one boot with your cast," she pouted. I wasn't giving up that easy on the subject though.

"What happens at nine?"

She put a finger to my lips and shushed me. "Birthday surprises are kept a surprise." I frowned and felt my eyebrows come down over my eyes. Ugh. I hated not knowing. Although, I felt strangely better when she slipped her hands into my back pockets and kissed my pouting lips. She was trying to butter me up! And, not gonna lie, it was working...

"Fine," I gave in. "Surprise me."

"I will, cowboy," she winked. "Now get off your leg and sit down while I make us some food. Sound good?"

"I don't want you having to baby me," I stated sternly. "I don't want to feel useless, ya know?"

She waved me away as she measured the pancake mix and added ingredients. "You're leg is broken. You can't be Superman all the time so let me just be a good girlfriend and tend to you for a while, alright?" She was so stubborn but I went to go sit on the couch anyway.

"Where's Alyanna?" I asked looking around for her and her cute little curly blonde head. Danni splashed some milk in her mixing bowl and began to wisk it.

"She went to a friends house for yesterday night and all of today and tomorrow instead of just tonight." I was secretly bummed. That little girl was so adorable and innocent that she made for a good laugh or two sometimes. Last night would have been weird with her in the house though...Talk about awkward.

Suddenly, my phone began to ring playing a catchy country tune. I reached into my pocket and slid it out, answering it.

"Jason?" a scratchy voice spoke. "Is that you?" My skin crawled and it felt like my lungs were crushed again. It was my uncle. "Jason, I'm so sorry...If I hurt you last night, I-"

"I'm movin' out," I said bluntly. "You nearly killed me last night! You're lucky I don't call the police!" I went on, not missing a beat as I began to put anger and hurt behind my words. "You will never stop drinking. You will never stop hurting me. And you will never NEVER be sorry! I can't even stand to look at you...and neither would they." Silence echoed from his end of the phone. He knew I meant my parents and he knew I was right. He was crazy and nothing would change that. I hung up the phone and chucked it across the room.

Danni came in and put a hand on my back. "You okay?..."

"Fan-tastic," I hissed sarcastically. "At least I'm not dead."