The Country Boy and The City Girl

Daniella's POV

I got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around me as I looked in the mirror. My eyes were bloodshot and tired from crying and had faded bags underneath them to prove it. I was a mess...but I was glad Jason was alive. If he wasn't, I would have been even more of a mess...

Peeking out behind the door, my eyes met Jason's who was now sitting up in the bed. "Uh...hey," I chuckled awkwardly. I was barely in a towel and dripping wet in front of my busted up boyfriend. I was a little self conscious and embarrassed.

"Do you need me to put a pillow over my face while you get dressed?" he chuckled.

I shook my head and laughed nervously. "This is my parents' room. Not mine. I'm just down the hall. I'll...uh...be right back." He nodded and I slipped out.

I didn't really care what I was gonna sleep in and I was glad we didn't have school tomorrow because of some teacher conference or whatever. Jason needed to rest. I checked some medical websites for what to do after strangulation and all of them just said rest and fluids and all that. He should be fine in the morning. As for his physical injuries, they might take some time to mend.

I threw on an oversized baseball shirt and some leggings, combed out my wet hair, and grabbed some pain relievers to take back to Jason. They would at least ease off a fraction of the pain he must be feeling. Walking back into the room, I sat myself on the bed next to him.

"Hold these," I instructed him. "I'll get you a glass of water."

"Wait..." His hand took hold of mine before I could get up, his eyes pleading and sincere. "Thank you...But can you just stay here for a minute?" he whispered. I nodded and slid under the covers next to him, burying my head in the hollow of his neck.

"You know what's funny?" he smiled. "There I was almost dying...and all I can remember is thinking of you..."

I shuddered and cozied up closer to him. "Imagine how I felt performing CPR while panicking..."

He looked down at me and I felt my heart skip a beat. I let him lean down and softly kiss my forehead with his tender lips. Even little things like this made the whole world around us seem so unimportant and small.

He moved to my lips and kissed me like it was going to be the last time he ever could. It was special, but not overbearing as it started out simple and began to intensify. I sat up on my knees to put myself over him, feeling his strong arms pull me tighter to his chest. Our heartbeats thudded against each other, beating faster and faster with every kiss. I was in the euphoria of all euphorias as he kissed me harder, his hands tightening on my thighs on both sides of him. I gathered up the hem of his shirt, pushed it up over his head, and threw it aside. Immediately, the warmth if his body spread through mine.

He was a drug. One dose and I was in it for life. With every dose my craving to be near him grew more and more, urging me to go on. I needed him to feel sane. I would overdose at some point and when I did I would love every minute of the toxic rush it have me. He wasn't Kent. He wasn't mushy and extremely romantic...well sometimes....He wasn't cookie cutter perfection. He was better then all of those things because he wasn't all of those things. He was Jason.

His lips trailed down my jawline and onto my neck, making me sigh as he slowed to a stop. He brought his forehead back to mine and tried to catch his breath. "We can't," he breathed heavily. "We can't..."

"I know," I whispered. Things were escalating too quickly for anything good to come out of it.

A wicked grin crossed his lips. "Besides...I'd much rather try this after you have a ring on your finger and a ceremony to match."

The thought of that made me shiver with expectation. I could actually see it happening between us: a white dress and a little church with two rings and a priest. But I definitely wasn't going to be getting ahead of myself anytime soon. I wanted college, my own job, and my own place before I even thought about marriage. And we all know how I am with spontaneous proposals. But Jason was only thinking ahead. It wasn't like he was proposing right this second and I'm glad. He wasn't irrational. He was thoughtful.

"I should go," I sighed as I slid off the bed and stood up. "Less temptation two doors down than there is here," I joked. He grinned that goofy smile of his and bit his lower lip. I smiled and closed the door behind me without another word. Walking up to my bed, I hit the pillow and fell asleep so fast that I didn't even realize I did it with a smile on my face.

The next morning, I woke up and rolled out of bed stumbling and fumbling around half asleep. My brain couldn't even function quick enough to keep me from smacking my face with the door trying to open it. Typical Danni move. I groaned rubbing it and slowly made my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I just forgot one thing.

Jason spent the night.

I opened the door and nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw Jason standing there, toothbrush in hand and a toothpaste covered mouth. He began to laugh hysterically at my expense and about spit toothpaste everywhere.

"Mornin' sleepin' beauty," he chuckled. "I found some spare crutches and a spare tooth brush in the hall closet and hobbled here to save you from morning breath Jason. Not a pretty smell." He crinkled his nose and made a disgusted face. I tried to laugh, but I'm pretty sure the sleepiness made it seem like a cough. He grinned and swished some water before drying his mouth and kissing me on the cheek.

"Oh and I saw what happened with the door attacking your face," he winked. "Smooth." I laughed and pinched his arm, defending my pride. I let him crutch on by before going to brush my own teeth. Even when he was bruised and broken, he was still making jokes...