[ 15 ] Date Crashing

Song: Brooklyn in the Summer - Aloe Blacc

•••

I still felt a little bit annoyed but I told myself that it had nothing to do with River. So what better thing to do to get my mind away from it that going on a date in a Chinese restaurant. Or maybe it was just revenge of seeing River and Vienna screwing but I threw the thought away as soon as it entered.

To be fair, it felt pretty cool to go on a date with someone from another country in a foreign place. I pulled out the chair, flinching at the squeaky sound it makes. The huge menu was still covering his face completely. For all I know, he could be a sixty year old man with a fetish for cucumber. I heard a small gasp as the menu slams onto the table. "Oh sorry, I didn't notice you. I'm Greg." He pulled his hand out and put it in front of me. I locked hands with him before shaking it, biting back a grimace. For the love of god, his hands were as sticky as glue. "Mckayla Silva."

I forced myself not to judge him.

Regardless of the hands, his face was a masterpiece. "Damn, God had fun making you," I whispered to myself, mentally ka-chinging myself at getting lucky with a date.

"So where abouts do you live?" I asked, cutting off another stupid though from entering my mind. "As in, I'm not trying to be stalkerish, I just mean the general area like where are you from..." I fumbled, mentally begging him to say something so I can stop embarrassing myself.

Get. A. Grip.

He let out a hearty laugh, "No it's fine. I know what you mean. I'm originally from Mississippi. What about you? Your accent sounds different," I subconsciously twisted the ring on my middle finger around and round.

"I'm from the UK," He nodded encouragingly at me as if urging me to continue. Come on, think of something clever to say, Mckayla. Ask him something? By now, the silence was suffocatingly thick.

For god's sake, start a conversation about anything. Don't just sit there like a twat.

"So what do you work as?" He asked, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh, I'm a reporter. Well, used to be. I mean, now I'm a music video director. What about you?"
"I work at Heartly Enterprises..." He says running his hand through his black hair. He falls silent as if waiting for me to say something. Is this my cue to be surprised? "Am I supposed to be shocked or something?" I blurted out before realising how rude that must have sounded. To be honest, I'd never heard of Heartly Enterprises in my life, although it did seem a bit familiar. Is it a doctors surgery? "I'm sorry, that must have sounded so rude. I'm just never heard of it before although I'm sure it's fantastic!"

For the sake of humanity, shut up.

His face turns taut as he forces a smile, "It's a bank."

Well, how am I supposed to know that? It's not like I fly to a bank in New York every time I want to transfer some money.