Ten || What Could Have Been

*flashback*

Lauren woke up with a smile on her face. It was her daughter's one year birthday. Her dad was away on a business trip, so this was her only time to be able to spend it with Brooklyn. She got out of bed and began to get ready for the day. She turned on a hot shower and hopped in. When she got out, she put on an olive green romper with converse. Lauren and Chance planned a small birthday party for their daughter at a park near her house. She walked downstairs and saw her mother getting all of the party decorations in a bag.

"Morning mom." Lauren smiled.

"Hey, Laur. You excited?"

"Yeah, I'm just glad dad's away on his trip because he wouldn't let me do this for Brooklyn." Lauren sighed.

"I know hun, your father just has a mind of his own." Sherry said shaking her head.

"Here, help me load these up in the car." Sherry said as Lauren grabbed the two bags from the kitchen counter. She walked over to the car and loaded the bags up in the trunk.

"Kamz, lets go!" Lauren called out for her twelve-year old sister.

The three of them hopped into the car and drove off to the nearby park.

They got there earlier than usual to set up the decorations. Brooklyn really loved Minnie Mouse, so that was the theme. Lauren set up the balloons and streamers, while Kamila and their mother set up the tables with plates, utensils, and cups.

Half an hour later Lauren saw a familiar car pull up to the park. She saw her smiling one year old and her father.

"There's the birthday girl!" Lauren exclaimed, running over to her daughter.

"Mama!" Brooklyn cheered.

"Happy birthday baby girl." Lauren smiled as she hugged her daughter.

"Hey." Lauren smiled as she embraced Chance in a hug. Lauren pulled away and hugged Chance's mother, Shawnee, as well.

Soon, more of the guests arrived such as Lauren and Chance's relatives, as well as their friends from school.

Lauren and Chance were taking pictures with their daughter and the guests.

"I don't know how she does it at seventeen years old." Shawnee said as she was talking to Lauren's mother, Sherry.

"I give props to him too, being eighteen and a father." Sherry smiled.

"I just don't understand Rick and his motives." Shawnee sighed.

"Me neither, Shawnee. It's sad really. For him to not let Lauren see her own daughter." Sherry shook her head.

"I just want Brooklyn to grow up in a normal family environment." Sherry added.

The day went on and it was time for Brooklyn to blow her birthday candles. All of the guests gathered around the table with their phones as they sang happy birthday to Brooklyn. Chance was on one side while Lauren was on the other.

"Happy birthday sweetie." They both said in unison, as they kissed both sides of her cheek.

*flashback ends*

Lauren woke up from a dream. At this time, she wished that it wasn't a dream. She fluttered her eyes open to an unfamiliar room, but as events from last night played in her head, she remembers where she is. She rubbed her eyes and felt a headache emerging. She checked her phone to see no missed calls and no text messages. Nothing. Her heart dropped, hoping that Klay would have reached out to her by now. Instead, she made the wrong decision by going onto Snapchat. She saw on Klay's story of him at a club with girls all over him. Lauren felt her heart shatter for what seemed to be the ten thousandth time. She felt tears brimming her eyes but she stopped them before they poured out. She slammed her hands on the bed, pulling herself out. She padded over to the bathroom and washed her face and brushed her teeth. She was still in yesterday's clothes, but she could care less. Lauren walked out the room and saw Brooklyn playing downstairs.