Chapter IV - One angry baker

"Tell me this is one lousy joke!" demands their new baker. Her face is as red as her hairs.

Ronan, Allie and Fern have just arrived at the marketplace.

The female baker is glaring at Fern.

The handsome merchant only says warmly, "Small world, Tara. You look beautiful as usual. "

(Tara, Fern's ex -wife)

Tara folds her hands in her anger. The gestures only makes her large breasts even fuller. Both Ronan and Fern gulp.

Men!

Allie says quickly, "Fern is an old friend of mine. He likes to flirt. But he is no bad guy. A little busy body but harmless fellow. "

Tara yells, "I know him better than you, miss! He's my ex-husband! "

Ronan holds his head. Can't loose her now. She's the only baker available in miles away. Allie knows it too.

She says, "You're mistaken, Mrs. Brown. I'm a man. Emmie, my sister is the woman."

Fern coughs to disguise his laughter.

Tara says, "I got good eyes, Missy. You can't fool me. Only one person has been able to fool me. Him. Just keep him away from me."

The angry baker chases them out of her store.

Fern whistles. Tara is as spicy as ever.

Allie says, "Sorry..."

Fern says, "No need. Our marriage only lasted half a year. We were too young back then. And I weren't ready to settle down. "

Fern leaves while whistling a merry tune. Life won't be boring here with Tara nearby.

Ronan gives her a deadly stare.

She promises, "I'll make her stay. I promise. A soldier oath."

Funny brat. A soldier oath. Not even a soldier. Ronan finally smiles a little.

Tara has gone to look around town. Allie quickly chases her. She found her staring to her hut behind marketplace. Tara was thrilled when Ronan offered her this opportunity.

Should have known better. Neville looks more like ruins than a trading town.

Allie bows while apologizing, "Sorry about Fern. I invited him here."

"Your boyfriend? " asks her coldly.

"Of course not. Just a friend. How did you know I'm a woman? " asks Allie curiously.

"I got good eyes, sister."

"And I even fooled the bloody general. Can't even fool a baker."

"What do you want? " asks Tara suspiciously.

"Let's be friends. "

"I don't like nobles. And why are you dressed like a man?"

Allie laughs nervously. She sure got good eyes.

She replies honestly, "My best friend betrayed me. And we lost everything. I dressed like a man to escape him. He's still wanting to catch us."

Tara looks sympathised for the first time. She says, "Help me. And I'll be your friend. "

"Sure. Ask me anything."

"I need two sacks of fluor. Fresh eggs. Berries, Raisins, Butters and..."

She got one long list.

Allie memorised it and then she repeats it perfectly. Tara is quite impressed with her. She says, "Give them to me a.s.a.p. I need to open my shop soon. "

"Got it!" yells Allie while running to supply tent.

Tara shakes her head. A weird woman dressed as a man. She's quite lovely. The men here must be blind.

Only got a sack of fluor. Some eggs, a small sack of sugar, a bottle of salt, a rolling pin, a frying pan. A block of cheese.

The supply tent got no butter left. Must buy it from nearby city, Seance.

Allie secretly borrows a horse from stable. She gallops her horse away to Seance.

Bad luck. Seance got no butter. Must go further south to Evian. It's a bigger city. She would find butter there for sure. But she won't make it. She won't be able to return by nightfall.

Gotta sleep somewhere in Evian. Hope her little money is sufficient to buy butter. A trader in Seance said it cost a lot more than before war broke out.

Allie must succeed. She has given her soldier oath.

-----------------------------------------------
Don't forget to vote and comment:)