Chapter 12

Liam, Zayn and I entered the small medical office, next to the infirmary where Harry was being looked at. The on-board nurse, a friendly Irish woman, sat down at her desk and gestured for us to sit down at the two chairs in front. Zayn took the chair to the right while I sat down on the other, with Liam standing behind us.

"How is he? Is he going to be OK?" I desperately asked her, my voice breaking and tears starting to run down my cheeks.

"We don't know, sir. However, before I can tell you any more I need to find out your relation to the patient." She smiled apologetically and I sighed.

"Well, Zayn and I are friends, and Lou..." Liam responded, glancing at me to finish the sentence.

"I'm his boyfriend." I choked out. She nodded and glanced down at her notes.

"Well, I can tell you that Mr Styles - that is his name? Yes, well unfortunately, Mr Styles has slipped into a comatose state, though the reason is unknown. We're doing all we can but until we reach land there's not much we can do apart from hope his condition doesn't worsen."

I buried my face in my hands with the tears flowing freely now, my t-shirt soaked and my eyes puffy. Liam and Zayn pulled me into a hug and we sat there for a moment, coming to terms with what we had just heard.  I lifted my head to look at the nurse, who was searching through her desk draws.

"Can I see him? Please?"

She looked and and nodded at me so I pushed up from the chair and walked through the door with Liam and Zayn following me. However I stopped when I reached the door to the infirmary.

"Why have you stopped?" Zayn questioned me.

I shook my head and looked down at the floor. "What if he's actually dying? What if this is the last time I'll see him alive? He looks so vunerable when he's asleep, imagine what he looks like now. I don't think I can deal with this."

"Don't think like that Louis. He'll be fine. He might even respond to you or something."

"I... OK."

I pushed open the door and gasped at what I saw. I was right.

How he looked when he was sleeping was nothing compared to now. Layed down on the cold metal bed he looked almost dead, like a corpse at a funeral parlour. Even with an oxygen mask over his face I could still see the snow white pale skin and dry cracked lips struggling to breath. His hair was dull and limp, his breaths were shallow and he looked so fragile I was scared if I touched him he might brake. He went from completely normal to this in under ten minutes. By tomorrow...

I shuddered at the thought.

I approached his bed slowly and reached for his hand. Taking the cold fingers in my grasp I felt enormous disappointment when I got no response. Kneeling down to his height, I reached to brush a curl out of his face and began to cry again.

"Don't leave me Harry, I love you. Don't go, please, I promise I'll protect you from him, just don't go... I love you..."

There was a hand on my shoulder and turning around I saw Liam standing there gazing sadly at both of us. I looked past him at Zayn who was standing by the doorway with a look of horror on his face, and then glanced at the open door.

In the corridor, I saw her.

My hand left Harry's when I ran out the doorway and grabbed her arm.

"You!" I screamed while she looked at me in fright. "You did this!"

"What are you talking about?" She cried.

"You're killing him! You passed the message from him, because you are him! You're P!"