The Dragonet

Moon breathed in slowly, not quite sure what to say. Bright blue eyes stared back up at her. A dragonet's eyes. They were soft and melting, quite like the dragonet's father. 

The newly hatched little dragonet climbed over a few branches into his mother's lap, where he sighed in content. Moon rested her head against him. How she wished she could share this moment with the dragonet's father! But she remembered the argument:

"Stop spending so much time away from our home! You know I work here all day. When I come home, I want to be with you!"

"Jade Mountain  Academy is where most of my friends are! You know that, Winter. I don't  feel  comfortable with all the other Icewings here. Your family hates me! And besides, you probably don't even need me! You spend all your days flirting with the other Icewing girls."

" I do not! And my family doesn't hate you, they just... uh...". He slowly trailed off. 

"Yes, and that's my point! Can you explain to me again why I can't have dragonets?" I seethed. 

" The royal blood line has never been tainted in 2,000 years. My family aims to keep it that way." he said, deadly serious. 

"And what would happen if I was, say, with egg?" 

"My family would kill you. It's quite simple."

"And what would happen to you?"

"I would probably be married to another Icewing. But we are never going to let that happen, right?"

"Ummm... no, definitely not."

 She shook her head. She had to stay here in the present, for her son's sake. She looked down at her dragonet, who was sound asleep on her lap. She smiled softly.  She wished she could sleep right now, but she was too busy planning, planning where to go next. Jade Mountain Academy would be a great place to hide, but that was exactly where Winter might be looking for her. Kinkajou and Turtle were in the rain forest, taking care of her and her new son for a few days. But Moon didn't want to be a burden. She would have to leave eventually, and she'd want sooner than later. It would be better for her son's sake. 

Kinkajou walked up slowly towards the new mother and son. 

"Hey Moon," she whispered softly. Moon looked up and smiled at her friend. "What are going to name him?" 

"Cresent".