Chapter Fifteen

I managed getting Penelope home in time and we went in, chatting with laughter erupting through our lips.

"And then what'd he do?" I ask her, grinning from ear to ear.

The little five year looks at me seriously. "After he fell from the bike he started blaming on a rock."

"Oh?" I gasp. "A madman, then?"

"No no!" She shakes her head quickly. "He's right! It was the rock's fault. If it wasn't there, he wouldn't have fell."

I nod, laughing as I hang up our jackets. "Oh, yes. Blame the rock. Only the rock."

Penny doesn't notice the sarcasm and kicks her shoes off, then continued to running to her room doing what kids should. Play, no worries, just play.

I hang her bag up as well, along with mine, and I take my shoes off. The house was silent as I entered it deeper, and it seemed our parents were late.

I was about to slump myself down when I felt my behind vibrate. Curiously I grabbed the phone, staring at the none-familiar number. But I answered it nonetheless.

"Hello?" I answer perkily.

There was a laugh. "Hey there, Latino! How's it cracking?"

I exhale. "Drake."

"In the flesh." But then as an afterthought he corrected himself. "Wait, no, that'd be wrong. I meant to say in the..Uhm, hey guys, a little help here?" There was a lot of background noise. Drake came back laughing. "Nevermind, how are you?"

"Where are you?"

"At a party." I could basically hear his grin stretch. "Want to come? By the way, you ought to learn my number by now. Label it Drake, or Handsome, or OhMyGodItsHim with a smiley or something. Every time I call it's like 'Oh drake.' as if you expect someone else. Are you expecting someone else, Avy?"

I grit my teeth. Obnoxious little twit. "Drake, just don't get caught for DUI."

"More like DOA. Drunk Over Av-"

I hang up.

Penny came out then asking where our parents are. She got her answer pretty quick and the sound of rattling keys in a keyhole filled the room.

"You're over thinking." My father says loudly, the keys rattling as if he was whipping them around in the keyhole madly. "Let it go."

"Let it go?!" My mother yells, no care whether the ones next door could hear her. "My own sister telling me such and such, and you expect me to let it go, Jacob?"

"Well Mina isn't always the most suitable option for information." My father answers in zen, very calm as he finally opened the door and came in. "She's just-" He stops, and the both of them look at where we stood watching them, their faces quite outré.

"Hi." I greet them while Penny squeak and hop onto Mama. My mother held her on her hip.

"You're early."

"I am."

"Eaten anything? We brought takeout."

I shake my head.

My mother nods and kicks her shoes off, then strode past me and into what I guess was her room.

I look at my father instead. He doesn't seem as awkward as his counterpart, rather just annoyed.

"What was that?" I ask. "Why were you shouting?"

"I was not, she was." Then as if hearing himself say that shamed him he said. "I'm sorry, your mother is just upset over a minor thing. It'll be alright. Don't worry."