Chapter Twenty One

I grabbed my belongings and put my jeans on along with the shirt. I let the jacket hang by the crook of my arm. Drake took his wonderful time getting dress and I stood waiting impatiently.

"Leave it!" I usher to him. He was currently buttoning all of his buttons. "We don't have time for this."

"Why the rush?"

"I want to go home and eat."

The word home made my gut wrench, but I ignored it. I'd handle these feelings when I was alone in my room with my thoughts and demons and everything that wished to haunt me.

"We ate like, an hour ago."

"And?"

"And you seemed to be full."

"I didn't get to finish my chocolate cake."

"Does that really make a difference."

"Yes!"

Drake finally finished and came after me, his sneakers wet and creaking. I laugh and we propel ourselves through the woods. It took longer to get back than before, what with our clothes mostly soaked and our hair blurring our view.

"Damn it," I pant. "It's so far away."

Drake didn't seem to think this was an exercise. He was having a field day for all I knew.

"Actually," he said, then a clearing came and I saw the white fence. "We're right there."

I scream in relief and sprint the last feet of walking. I yank the door open.

"You didn't lock it?"

"Why, we're in the midst of nowhere."

I didn't argue and slumped myself down.

"I hope the leather can handle some water." I comment, feeling my wet bosom slip on the seat. I sat straight, then down I went, then straight again, and then I slipped, then -Well, you get it now.

Drake stopped a beat to think it over, running his finger through his own seat all the while having this very concentrated look. "I don't know, you're the brain here. Will water hurt real leather?"

I shrugged.

He fixated a horrified look. "That's it. We're walking." He slammed the door closed.

"What?"

"This is all your fault. I'm not risking it. Get moving."

"What?!"

"A few miles, but we can do it."

"What?!?!"

Drake put his hands on his hip and he looked so much like my mother I almost felt bad.

Almost.

"I paid two thousand dollars. I am not going to ruin my babies because of some stupid spontaneous move you did."

"You jumped in too!"

"Ah ah!" He waved a finger. "I wouldn't dream of hopping into the water if it weren't for you."

"Drake?!"

"Avery." He frowned accusingly. "Come on. Get up. Walking-time."

He started moving down the road. And then he stopped, looking behind his shoulder and he noticed very clearly how I was definitely, most certainly, without a doubt not walking all the way back to the city.

wThere was no way in hell. Was the sky blue? Yes? Will it always stay blue? Most likely.

As did my stubbornness.