Chapter Twenty

The car stopped with a jolt as a white fence came to view. Drake stepped out and I followed him, almost tripping by a rock.

"Are you going to rape me, Drake?"

He looks at me lazily. "If I wanted to do that, I would bring you to a nicer place than this. Now come on." That's the most he said for the last forty minutes.

But I follow him blindly.

We were currently in a deserted area of Chevelry, the part with the maze of thick red trees, and their glory had somehow started fading. The leafs crunching beneath my feet.

While I gracefully stumble through, Drake seemed to know the place by heart.

"How the hell...can you walk like that?" I pant as I hop over a fallen branch. "Do you usually take stroll around here?"

"Actually," Drake says, and something in his voice seemed impossible to express by words alone.

"I haven't been here in years."

I blink away the confusion and rather than asking questions I focus on getting to whatever destination Drake dragged me to with all my limbs contact.

Then, finally after God only knew how long, we stop.

And my head drop in the beauty we were surrounded by.

The forest had a grand clearing with a river running through and wild flowers making their existence clear loudly with their many colors and shapes, and the sun hits the river just right so it seems it has its own halo, and the little dwarf mountain by it had a cliff which if you jumped from you'd fall right into the deep waters.

I looked around and wondered how such a treasure has been buried here for long and then I felt as if all the secrecy of Drake's was worth it.

Such beauty couldn't go wasted as many things had the last hour.

Without restraining myself and feeling a need to...be free, I run towards the river and with delight I discover I can't even see the end of it. It seemed to be bottomless.

I stripped my jacket and shirt off and the wind chilled my heating skin.

"What are you doing?"

But I ignore him. I ignore him, my head, my dazed mind, the words, the throbbing heart and I feel infinite as I strip the rest off and dive in, and I feel the cold and ignore it, and soon I dip my head down and it was freedom.

It was freedom of the mind.

I wasn't empty, I wasn't happy, I wasn't sad nor angry.

I was Avery where I swam.

I was content.

I accepted every though that came to mind, and let it drift through to the dark corners where they would wait until I was alone and they'd terrorize me, stealing sleep.

But right now, frankly, I didn't give a damn and I lived, because I was alive and I ought to act like it.

"Coward!" I cry as I see him hovering where I stood a heart beat of a moment ago. He looked at me madly.

"You're crazy!"

"And I love it!" I demonstrated by dipping my head down and emerged from the surface, laughing, the water running down my throat and I coughed, though somehow I was laughing still.

"Is it cold?" Drake steps closer, bending by his knees as he looks at me questioningly, but his eyes were warm, they were so very warm.

"Very!" I push myself up, and gravity pulls me down. "Come. I'm surprised you haven't jumped in yet by the though that I am here in only my underwear."