Prologue

In the Spotlight,
KiwiAndKoalas,
All rights reserved ©

"Have you ever thought about a dog's love affairs? No? Have you thought about why they run towards another dog that they see as if it were the love of their life, but the next moment do the same to another dog? Here, on News4You, we are going to b...

"Have you ever thought about a dog's love affairs? No? Have you thought about why they run towards another dog that they see as if it were the love of their life, but the next moment do the same to another dog? Here, on News4You, we are going to be exploring the nature of this problem."

I held up a dog, "This is Shelley, a 10 year old Norwegian Elkhound that had been seen flirting with various dogs in just one day. On the 27th May, she lept away from her owner towards another dog in a more than amiable way. It took quite a lot of time to split them up. Suspicious, indeed... But this is the important part. The next day, Shelley was seen doing the same to a poodle. This brings us to question, could dogs be the biggest players we've ever met? Let us know your thoughts on our twitter page. Stay tuned and have a great Thursday!"

I finished saying the rest off the words that appeared in the screen in front of me, waiting until the camera light went off.

3

What.

2

The.

1

Heck.

The light flashed off and Andy yelled we're off to the whole of the crew. I stormed my way towards the back of the room where Freddie was standing with a smug smile. Smoke was practically coming out my ears like on those Looney Tunes cartoons.

"What the hell was this?" I said, gesturing towards the teleprompter. Excuse my language, I wasn't usually like this. The asshole shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly as if he had no idea what I was on about.
"A teleprompter. I thought you'd know that by now Mac, but you never fail to surprise me."

I rolled my eyes at how difficult the fourty-something year old was being. And of course he'd call me Mac again just to annoy further. For god's sake, it made me sound like a freaking burger from McDonald's. I'd expect somebody that was two decades older than me to be a lot more mature. "Do you think people are actually interested in whether or not dogs have love triangle? Sure, it's interesting but I'm certain that people want to know some real news. Isn't it obvious that all the things I just reported are factually incorrect. How do you think we're going to grow from a small gossip magazine to something global?"

God, I fucking felt like a saint.

By now, I was well aware of the fact that I was pushing my boundaries, but for once I didn't care. I'd had enough of presenting this crap. Believe me, talking about Shelley's love affairs with a dead-pan expression was a lot harder than you could imagine.

No offence Shelley.

He leaned against the wall as if interested in our conversation. I mentally scoffed. He hated me since day uno. "News4You is actually well-known, you know?"

I scrunched my eyebrows in disbelief, "Well-known? If you think this news channel is well-known, you'd better check you have the right definition of the word."

I'd have probably tossed a dictionary at him if I had one. Just for emphasis.

I had no clue where this random surge of confidence was coming from but it seemed that the hours of talking about how to grow toenails on your hand had finally got to me.

Just before he was about to speak, I butted in again. "What are the reporters doing? I honestly don't think they're doing their job very well." I emphasised crazily with my hands, crossing my hands over my chest. "If you were watching this, wouldn't you want to know about other things like..."

I went blank forcing myself to think of something if I didn't want to sound stupid.

"Like- like- NASA launching another vessel into space!" I half-screamed in the joy of thinking of something. Telepathically, I thanked my brother for putting on the television in the morning. It was not until a moment late that I realised I'd fist pumped the air. Grimacing, I slowly brought my hand down ignoring the pointed look he gave me.

"So you're suggesting that the reporters aren't doing their job properly?" He asked me, raising an eyebrow.

Did I not establish that already, Fweddie-weddie?

Gulping, I realising that I'd pushed him over the line but screw it, I didn't care. Slowly, my head nodded in response.

"Well then. If you don't like our way of running things then move on. Let's see if you can find a job better than this. Although I'm pretty sure nobody would want to employ you because... Come one, just look at yourself. But like I said before, if you don't like it here, then leave. I'm sure some of us here would be more than happy."

I huffed. Also known as you.

He smiled smugly knowing that he's got me. I was certain that I wasn't going to let the asshole win. I thought about it, even if I found another job, I doubted it would pay as much. Crossing my arms, I lifted my head, "Fine then. If I find a job a lot more interesting within one month, you'll give me a promotion, pay rise and a hand written apology for being as asshole, and if I don't, you can-"

Brain, I command you to work.

"You can fire me." The words slipped out my mouth.

Oh, noodle sticks.

He snickered, shrugging his shoulders before mimicking me, "Fine by me, deal?"

I paused, cringing internally, "Deal."

•-xXx-•

Draft start date : 18/09/2017
Draft completion date : 31/12/2017

Start date: 28/2/2018
Completion date: 9/9/2018

*1st place winner of the Aluris Awards 2018 for the best chick-lit/romance.*

*1st place winner of the Pastel Awards 2018/2019 for the best chick-lit.*

Don't get too scared of Mckayla yet! I promise that there will be a lot of character development and after a while, you'll probably be feeling sorry for her

Don't get too scared of Mckayla yet! I promise that there will be a lot of character development and after a while, you'll probably be feeling sorry for her... Hopefully you'll be even bigger supporters of the Rivyla ship than I am ;)

I'd really appreciated if you voted on any chapters that you enjoyed or dropped a little comment. Thank you so much.

KiwiAndKoalas xx