Chapter Seven - A Strange Letter

K.O. still didn't know what he did to deserve friends like Colewort and Potato. They were always there for him and they always cared about him, and he didn't even have a way to make it up to them other than thank them and feel grateful for them.

"What did I do to deserve you guys as friends?" He asked, chuckling. "I mean, you're all a much better friend to me than I ever was to you."

"K.O., you know that's not true," Potato responded. "You're actually the reason we're doing this, you're the leader after all." She had a small smile on her face as she spoke, hoping it would cheer him up.

There was a bit of silence that filled the room, when a small piece of paper dropped down on the ground from their exit area. "What was that?" K.O. asked, looking at Colewort, who was the one standing closest to it. He just shrugged and picked up the piece of paper.

He looked at it as if he had never seen a piece of paper before, and Potato and K.O. just stared in confusion. "It looks like it might be a letter," he said, looking around it, as if he were making sure there was nothing deadly attached to it.

"How the hell did they get that through the exit area?" K.O. asked, looking at the letter in Colewort's hand and up at their exit area, extremely confused to how whoever put it down there got it down there in the first place.

"I don't know," Colewort responded. "But do you think we should open it?"

"Is it safe, though?" Potato asked. "I mean, we do live in a world where villains took over, it could be a villain dropping a letter down here designed to kill us."

There was silence for another moment, but it was soon broken when K.O. spoke. "Open it," he said quickly. "I want to read it."

"Wait, are you serious?" Potato asked, turning around to face K.O. "What if it's a trap?"

K.O. looked around, thinking. He really wanted to open it, but at the same time he didn't know if it was a trap or not. He just let out a small sigh and tried to make a decision.

"How about we keep it but put it aside and open it up in a week or so," Colewort suggested. "I mean, I know my idea is bad, but I just wanted to feel included in this conversation."

"...That doesn't sound to bad," K.O. responded. "I mean, it's really not the best idea but it's not the worst, either. It does seem like something we could do though, what do you think Potato?"

"I guess that'll work," she responded. "But if it's a trap then I'm blaming you guys if we die."

Colewort and K.O. nodded and sat the letter on the small table they had. Potato walked up to it and placed a rock on top of it to keep it from falling off. "There, now we have to wait about a week like Colewort said," she declared. "Looks like we'll have to keep track of when the sun sets and mark the days somewhere."

"Oh, I know!" K.O. said, running to get a small, torn up notebook and pencil. "I found these a long while back! We can use this to mark the days!"

He opened it up carefully and ran his fingers across the paper. It was quite smooth for the condition it was in, though it was torn up and some of the pages near the back had water damage. He picked up the pencil, which was dull but still usable and wrote down the time on the paper.

It was only 3:37 in the morning, but he still marked it as a day. He knew, while they hardly ever sent outside, when the sun would rise and set based off the time and how cold it got. Whenever it was in the middle of the day it was warmer, and in the morning and during the night it was colder.

Due to the changes to the temperature around them and the time was the easiest way to tell what time of day it was, and this cycle could help them tell when it was a week.

"Y'know, it sucks that villains are up there living normal lives while we're down here suffering because we're not even technically supposed to be alive," Colewort said. "I mean, it's not like they know there's heroes suffering anyway, and I don't think that they'd care, but still. It's not right."

"It really isn't," K.O. responded, closing the notebook after he had written the time down. "But sadly this is life, and many people before heroes were wiped out lived like this because of where they lived."

Colewort and Potato looked at each other after K.O. said what he said. He was right, there really were some people before all of this that lived like they're living now.

And it really hurt to know that.

(A/N) Ohhh, a mysterious letter! And a chapter that's less filler than the other two! Yay!

Haha, this one was a bit tough to write because I was thinking of ideas. Yeah, I have most stuff in this AU planned out, but I don't plan out every little detail in every chapter, so yeah xD

Anyway, that's really all I have to say for this chapter other than please vote and comment if you enjoyed, and I'll see you in the next one! ^.^