Chapter 26: Emptiness

Carter's P.O.V:

      I couldn't believe that had just happened.

      It seemed like I was in a dream, but I knew I wasn't. And to think that it had all happened so.....quickly.

      "Hello? Earth to Carter?" Aiden asked, waving a hand in front of my face.

      I jumped at the sound of his voice.

      "Hmm?" I asked.

      "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked, hugging me closely to his body.

      I shrugged.

      "Eh."

      "Okay, well let's go inside anyway. It's still chilly outside," he said, hitching me up.

      "What are you doing?" I asked curiously.

      He grinned.

      "I'm giving you a piggy back ride."

      I didn't say anything in return and Aiden took that as a signal to go ahead and pick me up anyway.

      As I was lifted up, I carefully placed my arms around Aiden's neck. He tended to be extremely ticklish in that area, although he'd never admit it.

      "Are you coming in, Darren?" I asked.

      He shook his head.

      "No. I - uh have to go home. See ya," he replied.

      "How? Do you have a car?" I questioned.

      He shook his head.

      "No. I'll walk. My house is only a block away."

      I didn't question Darren's strange behavior anymore as we entered Aiden's house. He took me to the living room where he set me carefully on the couch.

      "Where are your parents?" I asked, peering around.

      "My mom's out shopping and dad's out on business. Again," he replied.

      Aiden's dad was often gone due to his job. It usually required going to different states and selling various products. I was never actually too sure on what his job was, mostly because Aiden didn't even know himself.

      "Do you know when he's coming back?" I questioned.

      Aiden shrugged.

      "Doesn't really matter. He's been gone almost three weeks now," he responded.

      I nodded, not pressing the topic any further. This was a sore spot for Aiden.

      I felt the couch dip beside me as Aiden put his arm around me.

      "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked again.

      I sighed, knowing he wouldn't leave the topic alone until I did.

      "Fine."

      And so I began from the beginning:

      "Do you know Emily?" She abruptly asked.

      I froze.

      Emily as in.....his ex-girlfriend?

      "Y-yes," I stuttered.