Chapter 17: Stereotypical Librarian

      It was dark.

      There was a storm going on outside, with the wind howling, making me shiver.

      "It is so creepy out there," I muttered, pulling back my curtain.

      I knew it was the middle of January, but this was still strange weather. Normally, it'd be snowy or frigid.

      "Carter! Come down here!" I heard my mother call.

      I squinted one last time out of my window before heading down stairs.

      "What's wrong?" I asked, as my mother came into view.

      "I need some candles. I have a feeling the electricity may go out," She replied.

      I sighed.

      "They're out in the shed, aren't they?" I asked.

      "Yes. Now hurry! I don't want you to spend too much time out there. You may get struck with lightning," She said, ushering me out the back door.

      It was nice to know she cared about me. Not.

      I quickly made my way over to our shed, which was sadly in the corner of the backyard. It was a pretty large storage area, where all of our junk was put away. It was also the place where our candles were held.

      "Oh God. It's so freaking creepy in here," I whispered to myself, as I entered the shed.

      Why was I in here again?

      Oh right. Candles.

      I carefully stepped over various junk items, not wanting to trip and die.

      "Candles, candles, candles. Where are they?" I mumbled, shuffling through cardboard boxes.

      "They're here," A voice replied.

      I jumped ten feet up at the noise, nearly hitting my head on the ceiling.

      "Who's there?!" I yelled, grabbing a stray vase.

      A dark figure from the corner emerged, revealing Aiden.

      I let out of large gust of air.

      "Oh, it's just you. What do you want, Aiden?" I asked, wiping my sweaty palms on my pants.

      He shrugged, walking past me and into my backyard.

      "Where are you going?" I questioned, hot on his heel.

      "Home," He replied sharply.

      Okay....

      "There has to be a reason you were in my shed," I said suspiciously.

      "Just leave it alone, okay?" He hissed rudely.

      I was taken aback at his sudden tone.

      "Why are you acting like this?" I questioned.

      "Look, Carter. I'm sick of this. Sick of being your "best friend." What are we even? We don't hang out, you're no fun, and I'm keeping this huge secret from you. That doesn't sound like things best friends do," Aiden said seriously.

      "But....I thought that-"

      "Whatever you thought was wrong. I can't be friends with you. You're too clueless to figure out the reason I've been acting strange. Can't you tell what I did?" He asked.