5||I Never Planned On You

Y/n walks back stage to see Les, David, and Medda.

"Y/n that was beautiful." David said to her.

"Well thank you Davey."

"Good god y/n. I sure have missed hearing your pretty voice on the stage." Medda said giving her a hug. "And that song! Where ever did you hear it?"

"My momma used to sing it when I was younger. Always loved singing it. When I sing it it feels like a little piece of her is still with me. And it's the only memory I have of a decent family." Y/n explain.

"Well good job y/n and we'll see you tomorrow. I gotta get Les home." David said carrying a sleepy Les.

"Yea go. See ya tomorrow boys." The Jacobs boys leave and y/n turns to Medda. "I'm gonna go change and do you mind if me and Jack stay to watch the show?"

"Sure thing love. In fact he already went to get the best seat in the house halfway through your performance."

"Thanks Medda." Y/n said then head off to get back into her newsie clothes.

\/\/\/\/\/\/

"Well hello again." Jack says, climbing up to the balcony and seeing Katherine up there.

"This is a private box!" She says.

"If you wanna ya shoulda lock the door. Twice in one day; you think that's fate!" Jack says leaning on the rail to watch the show.

"Go away, I'm working." She says jotting stuff down on her notepad.

"Oh, a workin' girl, huh? Doin' what?" Jack says, moving closer.

"Reviewing the show for the New York Sun." Katherine says looking up. "Say... you wouldn't happen to know the singer would you?"

"y/n, Queen of New York."

"Where did Queen of New York come from?" Katherine asks.

"She's one of the greatest newsies in all of New York. She's worked for every paper and has never let anyone down." Jack explains.

"Interesting. Now could you please leave so I could finish." Katherine says, trying to focus on her report.

"Why would I do that? The view's better here."

"Please go. I'm not in the habit of speaking to strangers." She says, looking to the stage at what's currently happening.
"You're gonna make a lousy reporter, then. The name's Jack Kelly." Jack says moving closer.

"Is that what it says on your rap sheet?"

"Oh, a smart girl, huh? I admire smart girls. Beautiful, smart, independant." Jack says dreamily. His mind travels between y/n and Katherine.

"Do you mind?" Kathrine shouts.

"Hey, keep quiet up there!"

"You got in for free, at least pay attention!" Medda says to Jack.

"Sorry, Miss Medda." Jack whisper shouts.

Kathrine goes back to reviewing the show. Jack moves to the other chair resting his foot on it and pulling out a pencil and paper and starts sketching Katherine.

[JACK]
I got no use for moonlight
Or sappy poetry.
Love at first sights for suckers,
At least it used to be.
Look, girls are nice,
Once or twice,
Till I find someone new,
But I never planned on
No one like you

Y/n comes out and walks up the Medda and she points to the balcony. Y/n silently thanks her and jogs over and climbs up to the balcony. She stops when she reaches the top and sees Katherine up there and Jack drawing looking up at Katherine and back down at his paper. She climbs back down and slowly walks away.

[Y/N]
I got no use for moonlight
Or sappy poetry.
Love at first sights for suckers,
At least it used to be

"What are you doing?" Katherine says noticing Jack.

"Quiet down. Theres a show going on." Jack says moving the paper out of her sight.

"You are the most impossible boy-" Katherine starts talking at a normal tone but is cut off by Jack shushing her.

Y/n looks up to see their exchange, tears slowly moving down her cheeks.

"Ever." Katherine whispers the last part. He sends her away and she goes back to watching the show.

[JACK & Y/N]
No, I never planned on
Someone like you

Jack sets the picture down and quickly leaves the balcony.

As he reaches the ground, y/n sees him and runs past him and out of the theater.

Jack turns and runs after her, unsure as to why she ran out. Katherine notices he's gone and looks to see where he went when she notices the drawing. She picks it up and admires his talent. She smiles as she goes back to finishing her review.