Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Faith

"What happened?" My mom knowingly asks. I sigh deeply and decide to lie. She doesn't have to know what really happened. "Um. Plans changed. His friends had to leave unexpectedly and Jack had to go somewhere too."

Her eyebrows scrunch, "Well that's unfortunate." I nod in agreement. Truly unfortunate.

I look out the window as the cars passed by. The blue of the sky was beautiful and the clouds were puffy and purely white. No hint of grey in any of them. A huge contrast to my actual mood. The weather usually seems to match with my feelings but apparently not this time.

We arrived home and not a word was said between my mother and I. I knew she could sense something was wrong with me because I didn't even turn on the radio but she knows better than to ask me what's wrong. She already knows I'll say I'm fine. Why even bother?

I always tend to say I'm fine even though I'm clearly not. I could have just found out something terrible and be in hysterics but somehow through the tears I'd still say I was fine. It's just who I am. I can't open up and tell someone what's really wrong because the few times I have I get told I'm overreacting or that I'm a lunatic for feeling that way. People are more judgmental than I thought they were back when I was as naive as could be.

My door closes and I walk towards my bed. It's warm and comfortable against my skin. I'm soon asleep.

-

I'm woken up by various beeping noises coming from my phone. Who could possibly be texting me? I check the time and realize that I was only asleep for about 15 minutes. Wow. It felt like I had slept for 10 hours.

I instantly frown when I see Jack's name appear on my phone screen. I pick up the phone to my ear.

"What?" My voice is tainted with annoyance. I couldn't help it. I was so hurt by the whole situation. How could he forget? And I know if I were to tell this to someone they'd tell me to get over it because it's not a big deal and that's exactly why I don't tell anyone my problems. Ever. I know I'm overreacting but this isn't just oh he forgot about me, no. I've been forgotten my whole life by everyone else. It hurts when it happens again by someone you didn't think would do it.

"Please stop being mad at me," he says in a pleading tone and before I can answer to that he states, "I'm on my way to your house."

"What? No. Turn back around. I really don't-"

"There's no way I'm turning back. No matter how much you hate me right now I need to show you that you're more important to me than stupid drugs. I left my friends to come see you. Because getting high isn't as important as you."

I'm left speechless. I do appreciate him trying to make up for this but I'm not sure this is the right time. I still need time to simmer down.

"I appreciate it but-"

"No, Faith. Nothing is changing my mind." His voice is more stern this time. He's determined.

I'm kind of annoyed by the fact that he keeps interrupting me though.

I huff in defeat and I can practically hear him smile on the other line. "Stop using your phone and driving at the same time." And with that, I hang up.

A few minutes later there's a knock on my door and none other than Jack himself is in my line of sight.

He comes and sits next to me on the bed. "Listen-" I begin and yet again I was interrupted. This time I didn't mind. He had grabbed my face and pressed his lips ever so carefully against mine.